Strange Noise While Accelerating In Higher Gears?

Bucksqueeze

Aug 3, 2014
Hello, I'm having an issue with my GT. While in 4th or 5th (mostly occurs in 5th) there is a very strange noise when I push on the throttle but goes away instantly when I release the pedal but occurs right back if I push the throttle back in.. The best way to explain the sound is a whirling noise, like air. It doesn't sound like a grinding or metal on metal noise. I've never heard this sound before until recently and I'm wondering what it is.

It only occurs in higher gears when I'm on the highway, and I'm also having an issue with 5th. Sometimes when I shift into 5th gear, the engine sputters really bad. Like a severe misfire and will not accelerate. This only happens every once in awhile, I'm not too sure if it's my shifting skills or something else. No issues in the lower gears, when I'm driving around town.

I did have a misfire on CYC 5 about 3 weeks ago but I've since then changed all the plugs. And the misfire went away.

Any ideas? I have a 04 mustang GT, with 91k miles. Since I've gotten it, I've done the oil and filter, new K&N drop in filter, new plugs, and new transmission fluid. I'm doing the fuel filter tomorrow, and coolant in a few weeks as well.

• Sponsors (?)

Front. I can clearly hear it through the air vents. I would probably pin point it towards the middle of the engine compartment but it's pretty hard to pinpoint a noise imo.