strange noise!

ironmedic

Mar 18, 2003
Puyallup, WA
hey guys i have a strange noise coming from my engine. i installed the MSD 6AL ignition kit and 1 day later, i get this strange noise at around 2k-3k rpm's. it sounds like air trying to escape or a belt squeeling. at idle, it sounds just fine. i installed a short belt 2 weeks ago (deleted the A/C and smog pump) but there was no noise then. i used to get this small ticking noise and so i changed my header gaskets. they were blown alright! it didnt solve the strange squeeling. i know what a squeeling belt sounds like and this isnt it. any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Spray or pour a little water on the belt while it's running. A squirt gun works well. It';ll tell you for sure if it's the belt or something worse. If the belt, check you pulley alignments and how the tensioner is running

argh! i tried it and it didnt work. everytime i start the car, i hear a quick squeel noise and then it goes away. its like a 1 second noise. then i accelerate the car to 2k-3k RPM's and it will make a faint squeel noise but not like a belt.