Strange rear end sound

Isaac-1

Founding Member
Sep 8, 2001
SW Louisiana
For the last couple of months I have had an intermittent sound coming from the general area of the rear of the car at highway speeds(sometimes it lasts for a few seconds other times for half an hour). It is a very strange sound, almost like something is tied around the driveshaft and is slapping the bottom of the car (I have looked and can't find anything). The sound is rythmic (tah, tah, tah, tah...) at a rate of 3-5 beats to second. I am beginning to think it may be something inside the differential, I don't know what it could be there though, does anyone have any thoughts?

Ike

p.s. I did have an Aluminum driveshaft installed on the car a couple of months before all this started.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I'm dealing with a "scuffing" sound from my left rear wheel right now , myself. I would check the torque on the driveshaft to pinion flange bolts. Those are supposed to be torqued to 75 ft/lbs. Also, check the U-joints for looseness, though you said the driveshaft is new, and you should have gotten new u-joints, right ? Rotors OK ? lug nuts torqued to 90 ft/lbs ? ABS sensor rod not rubbing on the axle end ? Just some things to check. Hope you find the source of the noise.

I have checked some of those(brakes, U-joint, but not the pinion flange bolts), I will go through and check the rest, although this does not have the usualy rubbing its more of a distinct "thwap", also it is not very loud (it can barely be heard over the stock radio at mid volume levels). One other strange thing is nothing apparent seems to trigger this, driving down a straight reasonably smooth road at constant speed this sound may start and stop at random, or it may go for a week without a sound.

Thanks Ike