Strange shudder at all speeds...HELP!

GTBomber

Jun 25, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I have a '95 GT with almost 200k miles. It's been a great car but I'm having a problem I can't diagnose. No matter what the engine speed, the car shudders and stumbles. Replaced the fuel filter recently just because it was due. Thought the problem seemed ignition related, so I replaced the plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap and rotor, and OLD battery. Before replacing the coil, the tach was reacting slowly, but unfortunately that's all that was fixed. Power has dropped significantly, and mileage isn't as good as before. What am I missing?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Harmonic balancer is a good possibility. Check and see if the rubber on the back of the harmonic balancer is poking out. The rubber should be nice and even around the back. If it's sticking out even a tiny bit, it's time for a new balancer.

Does it shudder and stumble constantly? Or just periodically?

Have you used an OBDI code reader and checked for error codes? Is your check engine light on?

The shudder is intermitent, but happens a lot. I hadn't considered the harmonic balancer, but wouldn't that be constant? Just got home from work, so I'll check if there's any rubber hanging out. Took it to the dealership and had them run it on the diagnostic machine, and they came up with $1200 worth of things I had already replaced. Check engine light comes on very rarely, but doesn't stay on for more than a few seconds at a time. I'm at a loss.