strange sound when starting

jmk97GT

Oct 29, 2004
I'm not too worried about it right now since it's been going on for a long time, however, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it is.

Whenever I start the car (almost every start, if not all starts) there is a clicking noise or rattle of some sort right when you hear the 'packs go *vroom* and it ends after like a second. It happens only when starting, and doesnt make that same noise ever again.

If I were to make a guess it sounds kind of like the starter gear stripping, possibly? It's that kind of sound, sort of a grind/rattle kinda thing. Only reason I'm thinking that's not what it is is because this has been going on for at least 6 months and it has not adverseley effected the starter.

• Sponsors (?)

does it sound like rocks rattling in a coke can? If it does, it could be your bearings, rods, or pistons. Does it only happen when you first start your engine? Does the sound go away after the eninge warms up? It may be that not enough oil is properly lubracating your internals. You can get under the car and see if its coming from the bottom end. If you hear the noise from the lower end, you can do a quick compression test to make sure each cylinder is holding proper compression. If the numbers are consistent, then I wouldn't worry about the noise.

God I love Ford :rolleyes:

After thinking some more it could also be your exhaust rattling. Sometimes the cat's can do that. I think if it was your starter your car wouldn't start anymore lol...or at least have trouble starting.

What type of oil filter do you have on your car? If it's a Fram, get rid of it yesterday.

Reason I ask is because my Mom's Grand Marquis was smoking and making a weird sound on startup so I put a Motorcraft filter on it (has an anti-drainback valve) and problem solved. Just a thought ...

DTNODYA said:
What type of oil filter do you have on your car? If it's a Fram, get rid of it yesterday.

Reason I ask is because my Mom's Grand Marquis was smoking and making a weird sound on startup so I put a Motorcraft filter on it (has an anti-drainback valve) and problem solved. Just a thought ...
Good point...

I would stick with motorcraft, K&N, or Mobil1 fliters

I think i know what you are talking about. I had a similar noise on my old 94 v-6. Right after the engine would start up there would be a a quick loud clicking noise. It was just a few rapid clicks, and was never sustained. Literally lasts for half a second. I never bothered to try and fix it because like you said it never seemed to be causing issues and the v6 was just an old beater anyway for me. My guess was always that it was the starter though.

Black'02 said:
I think i know what you are talking about. I had a similar noise on my old 94 v-6. Right after the engine would start up there would be a a quick loud clicking noise. It was just a few rapid clicks, and was never sustained. Literally lasts for half a second. I never bothered to try and fix it because like you said it never seemed to be causing issues and the v6 was just an old beater anyway for me. My guess was always that it was the starter though.

Yes, this is exactly what it is.

And no, I don't use a fram, it's a Mobil 1.

It ONLY happens when I start the car, and actually more frequently than not when it's warm.