Stroker kits? Sizes? I'm confused..

zZsKyZz

Dec 1, 2005
I have an engine in my garage that I'm building into something decent. Either way, I'd probably get the deck checked and the crankshaft checked and honed if needed. I know I can just replace the pistons and rings, but is there such thing as a cheap stroker kit that will be able to withstand nitrous or should I just save the money and get myself a good set of pistons?

Also, I've been looking while I work [I work at an auto-parts store] and there are so many different sizes for things that I'm going nuts because I fear that it won't all fit together.

Here are my [current] plans:
Heads: GT40 ported.
Intake: GT40 or Cobra, also ported and matched to the heads.
Camshaft: Undecided...Suggestions?
Other: 75mm throttle body, LT headers, 100 shot of dry nitrous, 24lb injectors, lightning MAF, tweecer, ARP bolts.

As far as springs, rocker arms, and pushrods I'll probably go with crane. I was looking at 1.7 arms, but really see no difference between 1.7 and 1.6 besides the additional stress it puts on the springs, would it make enough difference to really notice?

Am I on the right track guys? I'm on a tight budget and any help is more than appreciated.. I know tons of you guys have done this before...Help a beginner out here? it's my first time doing someting like this and I wanna do it right, and it to be reliable.

Thanks. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

with nitrous, you really should use forged pistons

the deal with stroker kits is you need a different crank and rods. that is where the extra money goes. if you are going that route, it does not make sense to skimp there, otherwise you are just asking for trouble down the road.

if you are going to rebuild the bottom end, do it right the first time and build something solid, unless you like pulling your motor out. it's easy enough to change everything but the short block.

are you going to assemble the short block yourself? if not, talk to your builder; he should know what to get.

for heads, buy mine, they were ported by thumper :)

for nitrous, get a nitrous cam, crane and comp both make them. :shrug:

for rockers, get the ratio the cam was made for. changing rockers is the poor man's way to increase lift. if you are getting a new cam anyway get the one that is right for your setup and use the recommended rockers.

I was planning on doing as much of it as I can.. I wanna learn how to do it and be able to say that I did it rather than just bringing it somewhere.

Also, how much do you want for the thumper heads?

you'll need to get the block and rods checked out and machined before you know what size pistons and bearings to get. Most people go .030 over on the pictons anyway so they end up with a 306.

re the heads: i think $500 shipped is fair.

let me know

i have two books where the authors (both very experienced engine builders) say that hyper pistons are underrated. they say they are fine for n/a apps under 400 rwhp or so, but with higher hp or blower/nitrous cars, they recommend forged pistons.

so i guess it depends on how much mitrous you intend to throw at it

the guy who reconditions your crank and rods will tell you what size bearings you need. they are "undersized" because they make the part of the crank that the rods connect to round again by removing metal, making them smaller. they pistons are "oversized" because they make the bores a little bit bigger when making them round again