Strong block for a 347

I am FINALLY getting my butt in gear and switching focus from my Dodge Viper BACK to my 91' Mustang GT. I'm planning on totally re-doing almost everything:D . So first off I need a good motor. So I have decided to go with a 347 stroker motor.:nice: BUT my question is what block should I use, i'm trying to conserve money so it can;t be a super expensive block because I also have to pay to get it bored over to a 347. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance everyone!:nice:
JUCD

P.S. I plan on using my Victor Jr heads on the 347 and my X-cam. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions for the motor, I am planning on buying a stud gurdel also.

• Sponsors (?)

If you get an aftermarket block, you will not need a stud girdle.

If you are just planning an N/A 347, just use the stock block.

A custom camshaft for a 347 is going to be much better than an off-the-shelf camshaft for a 302 in a 347:)

The Victor Jr. heads are good.

Ahh sorry i'm an idiot I should have mentioned that I WILL be spraying nitrous at LEAST a 150 shot for sure, but I would like to be able to shoot more in the future maybe?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Yes i've looked at the dart blocks and they are alot more expensive then I am willing to spend.

Any other ideas?

Shop around for a used A4 or R302 block. Sometimes they pop up at a decent price.
A good 347, will only be 100hp or less, to the stock blocks limit.
Another 150 and you are certainly well into the danger zone.
I agree with getting a custom cam too.

Ok sounds like the custom cam is a great idea. What brand should I go with and how much am I looking at spending?

Nah lol I know I have a ton of money into my Viper and thats why I can't spend as much money on the Stang, I'm probably dumping 8K into the Stang in the next 6-8 months and I have a lot to do.

I'm going to check out those blocks and see what I can find..

Thanks for the help so far guys, any other suggestions are appreciated.

if you find a mexican block it should be fine.

custom cam for jay camshaftinnovations.com

the x cam i wouldnt even consider.

the victor jrs are a nice head. what intake are you using? trickflow R intake? what headers i HOPE a longtube.

talk to jay he will open your eyes. a properly built 347 can run 10's and make above 400rwhp

if you find a mexican block it should be fine.

custom cam for jay camshaftinnovations.com

the x cam i wouldnt even consider.

the victor jrs are a nice head. what intake are you using? trickflow R intake? what headers i HOPE a longtube.

talk to jay he will open your eyes. a properly built 347 can run 10's and make above 400rwhp

What is a MEXICAN BLOCK? I've never heard of this but i've been out of the Stang community for a few years. Where would I find a mexican block?

I am planning on buying longtube headers and getting rid of my shorty's. Not positive what brand to go with, any suggestion on which puts out the most HP/TQ?

I currently have the Trickflow STREET HEAT, but I will be selling it and switching to a different intake as well. I was considering the Trick flow R TRACK HEAT intake, or something else if I can find a better one. What would be the best intake on a 347 with nitrous?

Should I get my heads ported and polished?

I will give Jay a call and look at his website, thanks for the info.

I am definately wanting to run 10's.

As far as the transmission I would like the LINTECH AOD, so that I can still have a street beast. I'm actually all set up for drag racing right now, but I want to drive more on the street SO I will be redoing the whole suspension. ANY SUGGESTIONS on suspension or transmission?

Currently I have 4cyl struts and springs up front, Eibach drag springs in the rear with strauss 7 way adjustable stuts, no sway bars, and drag lites on it. I am probably switching to Chrome Cobra R's, but i'm open for suggestions on a different rim.

Thanks again everyone for all the help so far!:nice:

I'm also going to be switching a few things on the exterior, like a stalker fornt bumper, saleen rear wing, 4" cowl hood W/svo scoop, and a completely different paint job with stripes. But this is tech talk so I fugured i'd make a new thread in the talk section sometime today about what the exterior should be like.

A 3.40" stroke in a Boss block is not ideal, the cylinders are shorter then stock and with that stroke it pulls the rings way, way down...WHY they made it shorter I have no freaking clue.

Here's my opinion, Have a DART Sportsman based set-up build the first time so you are not wasting money on a stock block. One time with a bad tune and you could cause a block failure.

X-cam, toss in the trash.... Vic Jr's, some port work does those a lot of good along with some valve train upgrades, go custom cam, Victor 5.0 intake, 30-36# inj, etc...

The Mex blocks have "Hecho en Mexico" cast on the valley, it most likely will be a early 70's block.

A 3.40" stroke in a Boss block is not ideal, the cylinders are shorter then stock and with that stroke it pulls the rings way, way down...WHY they made it shorter I have no freaking clue.

Here's my opinion, Have a DART Sportsman based set-up build the first time so you are not wasting money on a stock block. One time with a bad tune and you could cause a block failure.

X-cam, toss in the trash.... Vic Jr's, some port work does those a lot of good along with some valve train upgrades, go custom cam, Victor 5.0 intake, 30-36# inj, etc...

The Mex blocks have "Hecho en Mexico" cast on the valley, it most likely will be a early 70's block.

Yikes the Dart sportsman block is to expensive and out of my budget range, so I think I am going to go with a Mexican block if I find one. unless anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions. Is there any downfalls to the mexican block, how much power can one handle?

What kind of valve train upgrades do I need for my victor jr heads? How much $ are we talking about?

I'd rather build my own motor myself just to say i've done everything, i don;t particularly like other people building my stuff unless it's something like boring a motor and actual machine work like that.

You have a Viper and you are worried about spending $1,500 on a block that will be the last block you ever own?

:)

As for a custom camshaft, that should be the last thing you purchase. This way, it matches all your cube and induction components.

I prefer Ed Curtis for a couple reasons over the "other guy(s)".

- Actually is a member on this site
- Does not trash talk this site like the "other guy (s)"
- I, as well as hundreds of others, have had great success.
- His attitude is better
- He has been doing it longer