Strong Manual Transimission Options

White05GT

Dec 5, 2004
I'd like to know what's available as far as manual transmissions that are stronger than the factory equipped 3650. If you have replaced your 3650 with something that works well (or doesn't work well), please post up. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as manual transmissions go you have a few choices. T-56 6speed, TR6060 6speed (GT500 tranny), or TKO500, TKO600.

They are all Tremec trannies. The T-56 is a nice street tranny that will hold up to more punishment than a 3650. The TR6060 GT500 tranny has triple syncros from what I hear and shifts real nice. It also has a shifter that's not connected to the car's body which is nice. I believe it has a brace that still has it remote mounted, but it's all connected to the tranny only. The TKO trannies are 5 speeds and can handle some serious punishment. The TKO600 is the baddest. It can handle 600lbs torque continuously day in and day out. The problem with them is the fact that they are heavy duty and daily driving is more cumbersome. Very notchy, takes more effort to shift. I know a guy (169stang) had one in his big hp turbo car and couldn't shift it above 5500rpm's. There may be some shifter improvements since a year ago though.

Another option is the 3650 tranny with an upgraded input shaft. It takes it to a fine spline set up which requires a different clutch package, but really makes the tranny stout. The 3650's have been holding up to high hp pretty well from what I've seen. I've been running around 500rwhp for almost 2 years trouble free. Poly motor mounts, Centerforce DF clutch, Centerforce aluminum flywheel, and an MGW shifter which has only been on a few months. Since adding that shifter it's been perfect.

As far as manual transmissions go you have a few choices. T-56 6speed, TR6060 6speed (GT500 tranny), or TKO500, TKO600.

The T-56 is a nice street tranny that will hold up to more punishment than a 3650.

Another option is the 3650 tranny with an upgraded input shaft. It takes it to a fine spline set up which requires a different clutch package, but really makes the tranny stout. The 3650's have been holding up to high hp pretty well from what I've seen. I've been running around 500rwhp for almost 2 years trouble free.

I thought I had a winner with the D&D T56 swap, but I've heard people have had problems trying to shift these fast. I'm very interested in a beefed-up 3650. Do you know what the upper limit on the rear-wheel horsepower is for the 3650 you have? Also, where did you get your transmission from, and what is the price. Thanks.