Stuck Nut On Tower Strut Bolt And Weld Tags Broke

NJBob

Dec 18, 2014
NJ
While putting on my new Steeda tower strut brace, one of the lock nuts got stuck on the bolt as it was tightened, just at the point it was getting torqued. Then the bolt started spinning and I couldn't lock it down. I figure their must be weld tabs on the underside of the strut that hold it in place on the top strut plate. My first thought was just leave it alone as its tight and their is no play, but it can spin. But being ocd, I went to work on the nut with a grinder figuring I'll grind it off, then us a dye to put a new thread and a new lock bolt. As I was grinding it down, I realized that if I got the nut off; the bolt might fall threw, or I wont be able to make new threads because it will spin.

So I'm looking for thoughts.

My ideas are, just leave it as is, because its still tight and the brace is working great.
Another Idea it to have it tack welded, figuring I wont need to do anything for years, and can always have it cut off.

Another is just pay to have a new strut plate or bolt replaced?
Another is get some new springs and have it done with the install..

What's your thoughts?

PS: the Brace is awesome, I felt the difference right away pulling out of my driveway. Its true that I now have a smother tighter ride.

Regard's
Bob

• Sponsors (?)

Pictures @NJBob
I'm thinking that the stud for the strut mount is swedged in place but could be wrong. Pictures would help (my garage door is literally iced shut and it's too cold to walk out there to look at mine ;) )

Pictures @NJBob
I'm thinking that the stud for the strut mount is swedged in place but could be wrong. Pictures would help (my garage door is literally iced shut and it's too cold to walk out there to look at mine ;) )

Looking at pictures from the spring upgrade at cj pony it looks tacked in place. The only pic I could show would be of a mangled nut.
Thanks for the reply