Stupid new/old member's question of the week..."TEF"???

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
We don't have any real history on this 92 hatch I just inherited from my son, so most of it is guess work. I do know that the engine is not the one that came with the car, nor are many of the body panels either. I have no idea how many different car's were used to piece this thing together, nor what the engine might have had done to it. It appears stock, minus all smog equipment, it had an electric fan setup we removed, equal length shorty headers, ORHP, flowmasters, and pulls like stink through 3rd gear.
On the side of the driver's side valve cover it has "TEF" on it in white, block letters. Anyone want to guess what this might stand for? Clean guesses only, no smut. It is obvious care was taken to place these letters...very sharp edged, straight. Heck, could be the initial of the junkyard they came from as far as I know. I was hoping on the off chance it could provide some clues about my motor.
Hope you guys can help.
Thanks again,
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

What valve covers are on it? The gray aluminum ones that came stock on the 87-92 5.0's or the black stamped ones that came on the 93+ motors that I was once told signaled that the motor had hypereutectic pistons? Perhaps if we were able to tell whether the motor is newer, it might help us figure out what the letters mean. Maybe it was something that came later on or even was specific to another type of car. Do the letters look hand written? Pics would help alot I reckon...

I was thinking it could be whoever built the engine too. Hard to tell without knowing the history of the car. I know it was wrecked at least once...too many different colors on the parts where the paint has chipped. It is definitely not the original engine.
The covers look like stock Ford gray. The initials are about 3/8" tall and look like they were painted on. They are located on the side, near the top, and at the front of the cover.
What caught my eye was how neat they were painted? on. Maybe the guy took pride in his work and made the letters perfect too? I would just figure a builder might scribble something on them...but I really have no idea.
Well...the mystery may never be solved? I just couldn't think of something..parts, aftermarked, stock, etc...that had those initials.
Oh well..Maybe something will come to mind. Thanks for trying.
Ken

I saw this thread and had to ask, dont mean to hijack but i have LAK stamped on my left side valve cover . What does it mean , heres a pic
dam010mb0.jpg

Attachments

• dam010mb0.jpg
    dam010mb0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 75
That's EXACTLY what my TEF looks like...same color, type/size letters! I guess it's the engine builder? Funny we have the same thing, just different initials.
I do think some engine work was done..I know it's not the original engine. If so, then why all the stock components? Manifold, valve covers, etc. It looks like a stock engine the best I can tell, but the previous owner had no knowledge about where/when the engine was installed.
Oh the mystery...I hate not knowing it's parents, cousins, brothers and sisters. It could have a famous relative and I won't know it :rolleyes:
Interesting non the less.
Hump, do you know any history of your engine?
Ken

OK, show and tell. Here's my pix.
Ken
As you can tell, I have a lot of work to do on this one. My son really got it, and kept it filthy. Far cry from my beautiful 93 I had. We got some cleaning agent on those initials, so they are not as crisp as they were before.

More than likely the its the initials of the quality control guy who either deemed the engine good to install or checked the engine bay over and deemed it good. That is one thing find when restoring old Mustangs. Peoples intitials all over the car in grease pencil, radiator support, underdash, and other out of the way places.

Looks like they just use a stamp now instead of grease pencils. And FWIW I had initials on the VC of my 93. And it was the powdercoated gray aluminum VC.

That's EXACTLY what my TEF looks like...same color, type/size letters! I guess it's the engine builder? Funny we have the same thing, just different initials.
I do think some engine work was done..I know it's not the original engine. If so, then why all the stock components? Manifold, valve covers, etc. It looks like a stock engine the best I can tell, but the previous owner had no knowledge about where/when the engine was installed.
Oh the mystery...I hate not knowing it's parents, cousins, brothers and sisters. It could have a famous relative and I won't know it
Interesting non the less.
Hump, do you know any history of your engine?

Sry no history here , 2nd owner of this stang and my engine looks stock from what i see and still pulls strong, the previous owner traded this one off on a new truck, wish i knew abit more, i think it might be a pass stamp , maybe ford might have a awnser for this 1 im sure ,

What valve covers are on it? The gray aluminum ones that came stock on the 87-92 5.0's or the black stamped ones that came on the 93+ motors that I was once told signaled that the motor had hypereutectic pistons? Perhaps if we were able to tell whether the motor is newer, it might help us figure out what the letters mean. Maybe it was something that came later on or even was specific to another type of car. Do the letters look hand written? Pics would help alot I reckon...

I believe you are getting the valve cover colors and the oil pan colors mixed up:)

My '93 oil pan is black (and some later '92s are), and valve covers were gray aluminum.

I believe you are getting the valve cover colors and the oil pan colors mixed up:)

My '93 oil pan is black (and some later '92s are), and valve covers were gray aluminum.

nah it was definitely valve covers that were being discussed, i just dont remember the exact details of what i was told. maybe it was the style of the valve covers, i know that 93 cobras and lightnings have differen valve covers than the ones pictured in this thread...