suggestion on reduilding rear end, change axles?

I was going to be installing a set of 3:55 gears in my 1993 mustang gt with 68,000 miles.

I was also going to install new bearings and a new traction loc differential. My question is should I change the axels to 31 spline from the stock 28 spline? When I am done putting my aftermarket bolt ons in I might be running close to 300 hp. I do not race it ,I just drive it when I get the chance and on weekends. Do I need to spend the extra money and change everything to 31 spline, or can i keep the stock axles on and rebuild everything with the 28 spline parts?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If you are not slapping on sticky tires, i wouldn't worry that much about 31 spline.
Just get a carbon clutch rebuild kit meant for an 03 cobra.

With that said, not sure of your lug setup, but if it's 4 lug and you may want 5, nows the time.

Also i would use 3.73 gears.

I second without sticky tires, and with 300 HP, 28 spline is plenty sufficient. I also think the 3.55 is the best all round ratio for a street car. That said, when I did mine a few years ago, I sure wish I had gone to 31 spline at the time, because it is probably in my future now.