Sun Visor Swings When I Turn

DougieD1961

Jun 26, 2016
My sun visor swings left to right or right to left when I turn a corner. Anybody have any ideas about how to fix this, short of buying new visors? I've tried putting threadlock in it, but that hasn't helped.

Thanks for any solutions.

DD

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE: I played with it some more and discovered that removing the torx screw on the visor mount releases the visor. (The two phillips screws - in addition to being nigh impossible to remove, they were so tight - didn't need to be removed.) I saw that the little plastic clip in which the metal visor rod rotates was split (assuming it's not supposed to be), so the metal spins in it a little too freely. Couldn't figure out how to remove it, but was able to pry it apart a little more, enough to get some blue threadlock inside it. After about a half-hour, I tested it, and it seems to be working. I'll take it easy until it cures - supposedly after 24 hours. Hoping it works, but I suspect I'll have to repeat the procedure in the future. But now that I know how to do it ....

It's better than it was, but it still sneaks toward my head while I'm driving (top down). Could be being pushed by the wind. So I think what I'm gonna try is inserting a set screw in the plastic sleeve and tightening it against the metal rod shaft. I bought some set screws for 20 cents each. Just need to drill a hole and tap the thread in the plastic. Will post results.