sunroof help [picture inside]

crash22

Sep 18, 2003
Plam Bay, FL
i have a 1988 GT Hatchback and my sunroof is not the kind that slides all the way back it just open a little bit vrtically but today it was soo cold that when i grabed the thing with my hand the 2 little black plastic parts(the ones that have the spring inside that u slide and it pops off the molding holders on the cars body) broke. when i bought the car 1 was already broken and i just broke the last 1. is anyone know where i can get a replacement or a way to fix this?? and the worst part is that the sun roof won't close all the way so i'm afraid that if it rains my car will get wet.

sunroof.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I have a sunroof, and i have never seen anything like that on mine, I have completely dissasembeled the sunroof too, including the latch assembly....looks aftermarket to me my sunroof takes up a good percentage of the roof, and is almost 2 feet front to back...by about 3 feet wide

My wrecked 90' GT had a sunroof and I don't recognize that part. I sold the sunroof its'self but still have the parts that were connected to the roof. I'll look out in the garage and see if I have something that looks like that. Was that piece connected to the sunroof or to the roof? If I still have it, you can have it.

It's probably aftermarket. Broke once before and the previous owner took it in to a autoglass shop and they put that on. It's a FORD part so if you call one of these shops in the yellow pages, I'm sure they can sell you "their" replacement for this part no problem.

BlackFox5.0, how hard was it taking apart the clasp mechanism on your sunroof and putting it back together. I think the gasket around the bolt holes through the glass is shot so whenever I was my car, I see water run down the bolt from where the holes are. I guess I'm going to need to take the whole clasp apart and put some sylicon sealer around the holes and then put the clasp together and back on.

How'd you do it???????????????????

Thanks

PonyBoy90 said:
BlackFox5.0, how hard was it taking apart the clasp mechanism on your sunroof and putting it back together. I think the gasket around the bolt holes through the glass is shot so whenever I was my car, I see water run down the bolt from where the holes are. I guess I'm going to need to take the whole clasp apart and put some sylicon sealer around the holes and then put the clasp together and back on.

How'd you do it???????????????????

Thanks

I don't remember, I think that there might be studs that hang on the metal piece thats welded to the roof frame....

i'm in the process of going down to like orlando, keys and daytona to find sum good junk yards in center FL if anyone knows any good ones do post.

PonyBoy90: i think it is factory, if your asking how to take the actual glass from the body is not that hard all u have to do is pull the 2 tabs and push.