Super Six power packs

Has anyone used the power packages sold by Super Six Motorsports? I have seen them online and wonder if they work very well. They have one for the 94-98 Mustang 3.8, for $1725, supposed to add 75HP?? So far I have not found anyone who has had one installed. I am real careful about what I do to my car, since it is my only one and I depend on it every day. I'd want to know a few things, like...

-does it affect emissions?
-does it affect reliability of the engine/transmission?
-is the gain in power worth the money?

It is supposed to include ported upper and lower intake, cylinder heads, valves, and cam. If anyone has any experience with it, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have the kit but can say that they are very knowledgable on the sixes.

Are you planning on doing the swap yourself? It is not a hard swap but the cam is extensive and needs to be done correctly.

If you are mechanically inclined I say go for it. I did a cam swap and picked up some nice hp wiht just that alone.

No, I can't do it myself, I'd have a shop do it for me. I don't have the knowledge or tools. (well, I have a leatherman, and a hammer..) I'd have them send the parts out to me and let a shop do it. The shop I talked to on friday told me, as everyone else does, that to swap in a V8 and keep it legal is way more $$ than it's worth, so I'm investigating other ways to make speed, WITHOUT nitrous/supercharging/turbo.

Well, you certainly stand to gain some power with a Heads/Cam/Intakes setup. I just swapped on Heads/Cam... no ported intakes, RR's, etc... just H/C, and picked up 50whp.

If you want to make a lot of power N/A (no s/c, turbo, etc), then I'd suggest going through Super Six Motorsports or Delk Performance and doing what's called a "Split Port Swap" while you're at it. Basically, you're installing new H/C/I anyway, they might as well be from the 99+ 3.8's which make more power.

Basically, the 99+ 3.8's are about 40whp ahead of you STOCK, so if you swap to the "Split Port" heads from a 99+ car, you'll pick up the gains from that AND some additional gains from the porting of those heads/intakes.

To put some numbers with this whole explanation, a stock-ish 94-98 V6 is probably going to make 12X whp. On the other hand, my '00 V6 with just Heads/Cam and a couple bolt-ons makes 220whp.

That's a 100whp difference and that doesn't include ported intakes, Long-Tube headers, etc. It's not unheard of to make 240whp with really good N/A setup on a Split-port 3.8... which would be roughly DOUBLE what you currently have, and signficantly more than a LOT of SUPERCHARGED "Single-Port" 94-98's make.

It's not as if going N/A is going to be cheap, but it can be a worthwhile pursuit if you are trying to avoid S/C's, Turbo's, etc.

Good luck :nice:

This is exactly what I was thinking, but needed someone knowledgable to confirm for me. My plan is, since my engine is now over 115,000 miles, when it starts to crap out on me, to swap in a 99-04 engine from Ford, or at least have mine rebuilt picking up the 99-04 upgrades that increased the power over the 94-98's. At the same time, I'll add in some of the upgrades from super six, if not all of them, and see if I can get my car's power ratings past a 94-98 GT 4.6 (stock) with no nitrous, SC, turbo, etc.

Also, and this should be good for a laugh.. in the next few weeks, I'm going to pay to run my car down the 1/4 mile, AND have a dyno run on it, just to get a starting point. It's still basically stock, mechanically, other than Flowmasters, cold air intake, and throttle body spacer. I can't imagine those make that much difference in the power ratings. I'll post the results up here when I have them, no matter how shameful they are!

This is exactly what I was thinking, but needed someone knowledgable to confirm for me. My plan is, since my engine is now over 115,000 miles, when it starts to crap out on me, to swap in a 99-04 engine from Ford, or at least have mine rebuilt picking up the 99-04 upgrades that increased the power over the 94-98's. At the same time, I'll add in some of the upgrades from super six, if not all of them, and see if I can get my car's power ratings past a 94-98 GT 4.6 (stock) with no nitrous, SC, turbo, etc.

Also, and this should be good for a laugh.. in the next few weeks, I'm going to pay to run my car down the 1/4 mile, AND have a dyno run on it, just to get a starting point. It's still basically stock, mechanically, other than Flowmasters, cold air intake, and throttle body spacer. I can't imagine those make that much difference in the power ratings. I'll post the results up here when I have them, no matter how shameful they are!

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Just do a lot of research to determine the best route.

If your goal is to make the same powre as a 94-98 GT, you can DEFINITELY accomplish that. My car makes in the range of what a 99-04 GT makes (depending if it's auto or manual) and makes about 30whp more than your average 94-98 GT... all this with essentially just H/C on a splitport.

Posting here in a SUPER old Post. Does anybody know if this swap ever happened? Because I am looking to do the same thing here. I would like to hear more of a discussion from other members who have done similar things.

Right now I am Stock Internals on a 95 3.8l
Bolt On are:

* Titanium Shorty
* 440 Flows "American Thunder", 2.5" pipes
* Custom X Pipe
* 8.8 Rear with 3.27:1 w Trac Loc
* SVE Rear Control Arms (Upper and Lower)
* F.M.S. Aluminum Drive Shaft
* Steeda Tri Axe
* K & N in the stock box

Looking to Add:
* "Power Pack" (after I fix a transmission on my Taurus) for the 99 and up. Which as a package says it will show a gain of 80hp.
* Like suggested above, I am going to also do the split port swap to get the extra gain from that which should gain me 120 hp with the power pack
* 65mm TB
* C.A.I.
* 20 # Injectors
* BAMA Eliminator Chip

Sooooooo, Feedback Please