Super stiff clutch

timk

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2002
st.louis, mo
about 5 thousand miles ago, i installed a new king cobra clutch with my new engine. i also installed a UPR quadrant and a UPR adjustable clutch cable. it is so incredibly stiff. worse than any truck i have ever driven.

cable? should i stick to a ford cable?

thanks, guys.

• Sponsors (?)

timk said:
about 5 thousand miles ago, i installed a new king cobra clutch with my new engine. i also installed a UPR quadrant and a UPR adjustable clutch cable. it is so incredibly stiff. worse than any truck i have ever driven.

cable? should i stick to a ford cable?

thanks, guys.

my king cobra is a little stiff too but it noticed its starting to lighten up a bit, you have only had it for 5k miles so thats why its stiff , it takes time to break in nice.

cb18201 said:
my king cobra is a little stiff too but it noticed its starting to lighten up a bit, you have only had it for 5k miles so thats why its stiff , it takes time to break in nice.

well....when i say stiff....i got into a 98 cobra the other day. that car feels like the pedal isn't connected. mine feels like leg pressing about 100lbs. i don't think that's normal. my leg gets sore after driving in traffic, and i ride my road bike anywhere from 100-200 miles a week!

maybe it is supposed to be like that?? if so, i'm going back to a stock clutch!!

check to see if your cable is running near any hot parts. If it is close to your header, it will melt and cause the metal sleeve inside the cable to expand and close on the cable. I had that problem for a while just never noticed it cause the back of the cable where i couldn't see was melted.

dsg02 said:
I've heard that the Ford cables are the best. MM only sells OEM ford cables to go along with their quadrants.

thanks, guys. i'm going to go over the cable and see if i can see any damage. whatever the case, i think it would be worth it to try another cable. shifting quickly is out of the question....it is THAT hard to push the clutch.