Supercharger and Fuel Management Question

Roger Dixon

Dec 30, 2018
North Carolina
I have a 2001 supercharged GT. I purchased it with the supercharger already installed. Long story, but the seller who had the car given to him by his dad for his 16 year old son, sold it to me because he felt it was "too much car for a person just learning to drive." The car, I believe, had a tuner kit installed when the Vortech v2 supercharger was put in back in 2001 by Air Ride Technologies for the 2002 Sema show. I know the injectors, at least, are not stock. They are 38 lbs., I believe. I am being told to upgrade the fuel system for better performance. But here's the question:

If the fuel system (injectors, MAF, and fuel pump) are adequate for the air/fuel ratio, would adding larger everything do any good? If I added a fuel system which created a fuel flow beyond what the supercharger could produce in the way of air, wouldn't that be counterproductive? The supercharger is producing around 9 or 10 psi. The gauge reads ten when I redline the car. Would going with a larger fuel system add more performance to my engine? By the way, I am removing the current exhaust system and going wtih lt headers, catted H pipe, and Magnaflow Street catbacks.

• Sponsors (?)

You have either an upgraded fuel pump or a boost-a-pump setup to keep up with your current power level.

Adding more fuel capacity will only add performance if you increase the air flow (more boost). Stock internals (pistons and rods) can support your current power level but may struggle with more power.

I’d find out more about the car like what fuel pump set up does it have, does it have any head / cam work, does it have forged internals, and what clutch / transmission upgrades does it have. To determine the best way ahead you need to know what you are starting with.