Suspension Setup - Street/Road Race?

KobraLX

Oct 10, 2001
Louisiana
I have been out of the game so to speak for several years on Fox Mustang technology, mainly just been keeping her running and lusting over these new Shelby's. While off doing other things my 89 LX 5.0 is screaming for some TLC especially in the front suspension. When I first got into this hobby/car, Global West was the way to go, then Griggs and Maximum Motorsport. It looked like thru the floor board subframes would be the way to go but I see the weld-under style still offered by many companies. Also I have noticed in some threads the thinking that things like G-load braces are out dated and unneeded.

Can ya'll school me on what the latest "go-to" suspension is now a days and where we stand?

I don't road race but included that in the title as I lean towards the edge of street/road race handling when looking at street manners so think 95%street/5% RR.

Somethings I would like to get:
Lower around 1"
Weight savings (unsprung and sprung)
Keep the rear tailpipes
Tighten up the rear (no wiggle)
Take all the bumpsteer out (bad right now with the worn bushings)
Eliminate the control arm/wheel interference at full lock (ball joints are very worn)

Current suspension mods are:
R58 wheels with 255/40's
Steeda front sway bar

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A friend just got his car out of the shop after having the entire Maximum Motorsports catalog thrown at it. It has the full rear setup on it and yes, he still has tailpipes. There's absolutely no extra room on the passenger's side of the car, but the tailpipe fits.

In my opinion Maximum Motorsports is the best out there for a fox. Griggs is equally competitive, but from what I've read the lighter weight parts are not as readily able to deal with the beating a daily driver will take. Maximum Motorsports stuff is apparently tough as nails.