SVO Steering Wheel Swap?

Adams91LX

Dec 9, 2003
Plano, TX
I bought a SVO steering wheel last week... I've been wanting to do the swap for my 91 airbag wheel. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure it will not line up correctly with the multifunction switch.

So is the only option to swap the steering column from an 87-89? I ditched the airbag so all I need is the horn function. Will the horn wiring connect up correctly?

Has anyone done this, I searched and really didn't find much at all..

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, swapping to the 87-89 column is the way to go. That is my opinion and here is why.

Ignore the work required to make it function and consider the end product. This is what I failed to do when I put an sn95 wheel on my 88. Airbag wheels and non bag wheel have different offsets due to the bags. When u put an airbag wheel on a non airbag column. The steering wheel was in my chest and driving was not comfortable at all. Same goes with a non airbag wheel on an airbag column. It will be far away from you.

But that aside, the wheel should physically bolt up fine. The mounting setup didn't change until 1996 or so.

Making the horn work depends on the clock spring interface. I'd have to see pics of the setup first, so let me google search

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

So you're saying you want to swap steering columns??? My airbag for your non?

:hide:

I'll start looking around junkyards... I haven't seen very many 87-89 columns...

Hopefully I'll find one, because my brand new leather covered SVO wheel is staring me in the face every day.

So you're saying you want to swap steering columns??? My airbag for your non?

:hide:

I'll start looking around junkyards... I haven't seen very many 87-89 columns...

Hopefully I'll find one, because my brand new leather covered SVO wheel is staring me in the face every day.

I ended up abandoning the idea. Put the stock wheel back on and called it a day.

Tilt column alone is worth the swap

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I still have an SVO wheel from my car in my garage-but the PO used some kind of club device on it for a while and it looked like someone chewed a hunk out of the foam. Been thinking about having it recovered and reinstalling it...

1982-1983-1984-1985-1986-ford-mustang-21.jpg