SVO Updates...(Pics)

Stinger

Founding Member
Jul 7, 2001
Shawnee, KS
I know some of this is a repeat...I copied it from another forum though...

I bought this car after the previous owner had driven it into the ground and was ready to do a 5.0 swap :rolleyes:

The exterior doesn't look too bad from 10-15 feet, up close it's not "mint" by any means:
SVO6.jpg

Just to get it running again I had to pull the head and replace the cam, a few followers, etc. I also had to replace the radiator, heater core, and some small things here and there. While the head was off I fully ported it and gave it a 3 angle valve job.

After I got it back together in stock form, it was a pretty fun car. I didn't feel it was fast enough though. I decided it was time to throw on all the "goodies" I had laying around and see what she would do.

I removed the exhaust, turbo, exhaust manifold, stock IC, intake, etc. to get it ready for the mods. I then installed my Stinger Perf. header, 50 trim hybrid turbo, huge front mount intercooler, 35lb injectors, K&N filter, 60mm TB, Ported the upper intake, and fabricated a 3" down elbow for the turbo:
SVO5.jpg

SVO8.jpg

I then decided to make the vam "blow thru" (after the turbo instead of before it) to reduce restrictions. I then built the intercooler tubing for it, ground down the welds, smoothed them out, and painted it. The vam is now between the engine and radiator in the IC tubing.
SVO4.jpg

SVO3.jpg

Got it back on the road untuned and it hauled ***. At 9-10psi I was trapping 94mph according to my Gtech (it's been proven accurate to 1-2mph at the track in my '91). I drove it around long enough for the tires to look like this:
SVO2.jpg

Unfortunately, the night before I planned to tune it with my EEC Tuner and turn up the boost, I missed a shift and the trans was destroyed. Now she's back up on blocks getting ready for a new clutch, trans, and possibly an alum. driveshaft (If I pick one up in time). I also installed a nitrous kit to help me with my quest for big HP numbers. After I get the trans back in I'll finish the downpipe and throw a single 3" exhaust on it.
SVO7.jpg

SVO1.jpg

I also picked up a mint condition front bumper cover and rear bumper cover to replace the tore up ones currently on the car. Those will hopefully be installed later this summer and then the car will be prepped for new paint.

I guess you could say it's coming along :)

• Sponsors (?)

yeah definately....the welds on the cooler piping completely dissappeared in the pics.

Which huge front mount is it?

Does the VAM sitting on its side affect the spring tension any?

and finally......
What are you planning on doing with that ole beat up transmission????

Yeah, the welds are no longer visible...I ground them, filled them with putty, sanded it down 5-6 times, and painted it.

Vam doesn't care which way it's mounted.

IC is from a Mitsubishi diesel cab over truck (like an isuzu npr).

I've got another T5 on the way to throw in the svo, then I'm going to pick up one that has a bad 3rd gear synchro from a local and see if I can put the two together to get a good one again.

whats your Gtech reading for HP??i know there not that good, but im just wondering what its saying.

im thinking on getting your header stinger but i dont know if it will clear my ranger alt and alt bracket. i think i plant on running the stock wastegate like you did too.

Lx89...Is your alt located where the A/C used to be? If so, I already had a guy send me pics of one installed with that setup...cleared the w/g by 1/4" but it did fit.

1fastfox...I'll do anything for the right price :D

how do guys afford your toys? I cant even afford to keep a full tank in my car. :( Anyway looks like its coming along nicely. Might want to think about tri-ax to protect that new tranny though. Im putting an an FMS Driveshaft this weekend, Ill let you know if its worth the money. watch it though if you order one as the price almost doubled Recently at some places.

Dr.

Lx89Stang05 said:
whats your Gtech reading for HP??i know there not that good, but im just wondering what its saying.

I've never used the hp rating setting...it's just easier to calculate it online. Our very own SN calculater says 200hp with a 94mph trap...how accurate that is I don't know.

Dan P....the funny thing is I kept spinning out after the nylon started showing...I think it quit getting worse...it sure was easy to spin though. I was hoping to pop one but it never would happen.

Dr...I don't have any "regular" expenses except gas and insurance (just got the 91 and svo insured for 46/month total :D)...what I make I spend (for the most part). I've sold a few exhaust systems, headers, oil lines, etc. in the last few months as well. I actually don't have that much money in the car....most of the stuff was done in trades or I got for free (500 turbo, free header, 100 in IC tubing, 100 in IC, 300 in nitrous kit...that's about it). Keep in mind I've had the IC for 1.5 years and the nitrous for 1 year...even the turbo has been on there for almost 6 months. I didn't just buy all of it at once.