swaping to 351W EFI

forq2

Dec 2, 2006
I am having a hard time finding anything on the electrical side of going from 5.0 to 5.8. Do I need a new computer or will the old one work? I am planning on getting a tweecer.

• Sponsors (?)

The only electrical component I'm aware of that you'll need is a 351 distributor. You'll need one from a truck that doesn't have the TFI mounted on it. The factory computer will have no idea what engine it's running since the firing order won't even change. Welcome to :SNSign: by the way!

You will need a dist. from a 93-95 Lightning. They had the TFI mounted somewhere else.

As far as I know, that should be the only elec. thing you need, but don't quote me.

Good luck.

The 351 is just a larger version of the 302. Like the other guys said, all you need as far as electronics go is a 351 distributor without a built in TFI. I got a MSD one(part number 8451), but a Lightning one should work just as well.

thats what I was hoping for. low-5.0 how do you like your swap to a 351.

This is all going to be relatively low budget. I dont have a lot of money to throw around but it seems like it should be possible for what I can afford. What does a stock 351 put for power does anyone know? I am doing a intake, heads, cam and stuff so my goal is 411 hp. The guy that is helping me with this has a 90's camaro with 410 hp so I told him i have to beat him by 1 hp.

Well, you can look at the stock Gen 1 Lightnings:

240hp @ 4200
340ft.lb @3200

Lightnings had GT40 intake, iron heads and a slightly larger TB (think it was a 65mm). So you can go from there. Of course the Lightnings did have 4.10 gears from the factory.

I have been trying to do this buildup for some time and keep getting torn between building up a wicked 347 turbo or supercharged or getting a 408/418 stroker N/A.

Good luck.