swapped rear end (complete) now having noises/clunking when turning?

todd92ford

Jun 21, 2011
swapped out my full rear end tonite for a rear end with 373s in it. Im having some drum issues, but those are secondary I think. When slowly reversing out of my driveway and startin to turn, I am hearing and feeling a clunking. Cant tell if its the rear (which has been sitting for 6-7 mos), or something else.

More info...I removed the quad shocks, could this be an issue? The rest of the suspension is stock.

Ive gone over pretty much every bolt that was loosened or taken off and made sure it was secure and tight.

Ideas? It seems to be ok at speed and from a dig. and turning while going forward hasnt produced any noises yet.

• Sponsors (?)

Isolate the noise by putting the car in gear and then grabbing the drive shaft and turning it hard back and forth. This will give you an idea of where to start looking. Could be gear teeth missing, a bad bearing, bad u-joints, etc...

1.) Make sure the correct friction modifer fluid has been added to the rear axle. If it hasn't, or the clutches dry out from sitting idle too long, you will have chattering and grabbing when you turn corners.

2.) Drum brake assembly

When you install the brake shoes, remember: short shoe goes towards the front of the car.

Here's two pages out of the factory shop manual...

attachment.php

attachment.php