sway bar studs spinning free

olcobra97

Feb 5, 2022
New York
this is the passenger's front side sway bar on my Cobra - studs to hold the sway bar bracket to the frame rail are spinning free and the bar won't bolt up or come out. any advice is appreciated... thanks :thinking:

Attachments

• cobra sway bar.png
    cobra sway bar.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
  • Sponsors (?)

this is the passenger's front side sway bar on my Cobra - studs to hold the sway bar bracket to the frame rail are spinning free and the bar won't bolt up or come out. any advice is appreciated... thanks :thinking:
Are the nut on top held in plastic dog bone shape like the Fox ones? I found a socket that worked on one side after the plastic holder broke. With the odd shape, 6” Vice Grips are the proper tool.

Are the nut on top held in plastic dog bone shape like the Fox ones? I found a socket that worked on one side after the plastic holder broke. With the odd shape, 6” Vice Grips are the proper tool.
I have no idea what the fox looks like- looks like might be a j clip from what I am hearing. I can't tell because I can't get to the top of the frame with this car.. thinking I may have to cut the stud and get a new set of studs and nuts, clip etc.

No, the SN95 sway bar mounts to the frame rail itself with internal speed nuts.
First off thank you for this information at least now I know what to replace it with...

So, is a Sawsall or a nut splitter the proper tool here?
The space is too small to use a nut splitter. Sawzall may help cut the bolts out but does not solve the issue of getting the top half of it out of the frame. I am currently using a cutting wheel but it won't clear the rear most bolt of the two. The most drastic option left to me is to cut directly through the bracket and have to order a new one...

Here is a picture of what the bottom of the ruined clip is like

Attachments

• pry cobra.jpg
    pry cobra.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 83
Here’s an auction showing what’s in there. Basically is a stud that’s clipped into the rail. You need to hold the stud from spinning to get the nut off.

Hopefully this gives you an idea on how to tackle it

730B7130-9C23-4C4C-8A1F-8A3713E8D6DC.png

Now I see.
If the studs have the end on them like he pic of the new ones, grind two flat sides (like a shock has), grip with a good Vice Grip and use a wrench to spin the nut.
Soak with liquid wrench for a day or three first if you can wait.

Now I see.
If the studs have the end on them like he pic of the new ones, grind two flat sides (like a shock has), grip with a good Vice Grip and use a wrench to spin the nut.
Soak with liquid wrench for a day or three first if you can wait.
Sorry to reply so late.. Vacation took priority :rlaugh:

I have figured I will sawzall the studs out. I found replacements for the clips holding it in up top and then use hardware .. or I can order the kit for the rear sway bar which looks similar.. I have attached the images. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• speed nuts.jpg
    speed nuts.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 65
  • rear set.jpg
    rear set.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 55