• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Switched 89-93 Octane and stang is quiet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2002BLKGT
  • Start date Start date Dec 4, 2003

2002BLKGT

Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
932
0
16
Florida
Dec 4, 2003
#1
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #1
I know it sounds strange, but when I use 93 octane gas, my car seems to quiet down. Do you think I might have clogged cats? I know I have the stock H pipe, but it never fails, when I use a lower octane, my car sounds louder. Maybe I'm nuts.

I have noticed extreme sluggishness lately. Probably because I am used to the car and need some mods. Gear, O/R Pipe, Chip, and T/A sound good. Now I need a couple of grand!
 

mogs01gt

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
3,113
30
119
Ohio
Dec 4, 2003
#2
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #2
I think you are nuts
 

mrvax

Stay thirsty my friends
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
5,225
3
79
SN Moderator: Orlando, Fl.
Dec 4, 2003
#3
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #3
Another vote for nuts.
 

2002BLKGT

Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
932
0
16
Florida
Dec 4, 2003
#4
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #4
hahaha

mrvax said:
Another vote for nuts.
Click to expand...

Nuts it is then. Crazy about my stang! Yeah!
 

FallenPhoenix

New Member
Nov 22, 2003
911
0
0
Odessa Tx
Dec 4, 2003
#5
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #5
Maybe some build up is causing semi detonation or something? I don't know if it's possible but higher octane would fix detonation so maybe

Related note, has anyone ever seen dyno sheets for the same car with 87octane then drained and flushed then dynoed with 91-93 octane? Someone told me that higher octane rated gas has less chemical energy stored since some of the volume is taken up by the increased octane.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
1998 Mustang Gt Rattling sound, cannot locate. Video included
  • studerman1
  • Mar 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
334
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 1, 2026
studerman1
S
G
Quiet my 2015 GT on the cheap
  • gsrblack
  • Feb 12, 2025
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
6
Views
860
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Apr 16, 2025
gkomo
Tuners come on inside
  • squeak93
  • Feb 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
1
Views
321
SVT Tech Forum Feb 20, 2026
squeak93
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
447
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
89 GT Convertible Rear Speakers Quieter Than Front
  • JulianR
  • Feb 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
563
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 26, 2025
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?