T-5 input shaft for a Mustang 2 Bell housing

Steve FLeming

Feb 5, 2020
Ohio
I am putting a T-5 from a 1990 Fox Body in my 1978 II - I have heard the Holden AU Commodore uses the right input shaft and bearing to use the 1978 bell housing, being longer it will put the shifter in a better place. I also have found a cross member for a T-5 using the 1978 bellhousing. Does anyone know where I can find the right input shaft for this conversion.
Also would I use the same 1990's fly wheel and clutch assembly

thanks
Steve

• Sponsors(?)

LILCBRA

I started this morning by knocking out some studs
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I don't know anything about the Holden using the right input shaft in order to keep the stock II bell so I can't say anything about that. But what most others have done, myself included, is had a sleeve made to fit whichever T5 was swapped in. I don't recall the exact dimensions anymore, but the T5 from a 94-95 Mustang requires that the sleeve be a little shorter, it seems that it was 5/8" difference?

As far as using the 90s flywheel/clutch setup, it's not compatible with the II bell. II flywheels use a smaller diameter ring gear.

The clutch will not work with the II flywheel to the best of my knowledge either, but that one may or may not be 100% true. I know that they won't bolt on as a stock unit for sure though. So if it physically fits the diameter of the flywheel AND it fits inside the II bell, you'd definitely need to have the mounting and locating holes drilled and tapped/reamed on center.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, you have 2 options.
1. Use the II bell, have a sleeve made to extend the input shaft bearing so that it contacts and supports the T5 input shaft. Use the II flywheel and clutch setup, the cross member that you've found, then have your driveshaft shortened the appropriate length and you're golden. OR
2. Use a Fox bell, flywheel, and clutch assembly and whatever accompanying pieces you need to make it fit and you're golden again.
Those are really the only 2 options that I know and they are both tried and true.