t-5 she is a leaky.

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I got my t5 back from a rebuild(3rd gear deal) and got it all back together awhile back. I don't get much of chance to drive it latley but I'm chasing a small leak. the tail area keeps getting wet, not soaking wet and only after a long drive. It only is on one side(pass side) area. around the speedo cable dry, shift tower dry, main body of the tranny forward of the shifter dry.

the back bone piece(what I call it)that runs under the tail area gets some drips coming of it and the tranny mount on the pass side is a little wet. the tail shaft seal is dry. I have washed this down and dried it, started the car and cannot find it, drive it up the street and back still dry. go for a long ride..WET! get under it with a light cannot see the leak.

now I'm starting to lean toward the tranny vent, I don't know where it's located on the t-5 but I have run my hands all over the top of the tranny and can't feel it either or atleast nothing sticking up in the tail area or where I can get my hands in the front(which is dry anyway).

what am I looking for and if he left it off or out what is involved to fix it? I called him and he is being a dick(long story old timer who rebuilt it nice but man you cannot deal with him) he is a take it out bring it to him kind of semi retired guy :bang: . the car shifts awsome but I gotta fix this leak. like I said the whole tranny is dry but the tail area, although the speedo side is totally dry.

• Sponsors (?)

mines the same way! got it rebuilt about 1k miles ago and there's a SMALL leak SOMEWHERE! i think mine's from the speedo cable though, so i'm gonna replace the o ring and see if that helps. as far as the vent, look at this picture. it's on the passenger side of the transmission, at the top of the t5, right after the top plate. the one in the picture has some black cap thing on it, its peaking out from behind the 'backbone' part.

T-5_cutaway_2%20copy.jpg

if you still don't know what i'm talking about, look at this pic. where the tailshaft housing bolts up to the main housing, follow that line up to the top of the t5 and you can vaguely see a little thing standing up with a green cap on it right beside the last top plate bolt. that's the vent and yours probably has the little cap on it like in this pic.

image003.jpg

great pics. now I know where to look for the vent and that area is dry. in the top pic the backbone part I was talking about if you look at the tail shaft seal you have that piece under it or to the left of it with the three holes that get drips coming of it and that small tail area between the shifter and the tail shaft input gets wet on the pass side. yet I get no visable fluid from the shifter plate which is dry and clean or from the speedo cable area. I also don't see any crack unless it's thin which I'm also worried about now looking at the pic it doesn't look like much is over on that side. I'm going to have to look some more but I have spent hours under it and that is the only wet area and I'm stumped!!!!!!

i had a small leak from my t5 when i got it rebuilt i couldnt find it, its hard to find it because all the turbulence blows the ATF around so where its accumlated may not be where the leak is.

eventually it stopped, for the most part

maybe it just filled to much and leaking out the speedo cable... or tail where the driveshaft connects

I could check that. when you unscrew the top plug should it just trickle out or piss out? I had my buddy who owns his own shop do the pull/install well I helped when I got off from work, but he finished it up, maybe she is overfull. hmm have to check that :scratch: didn't even think of it.