T-56 how strong

• Sponsors (?)

hey, get back to your other thread and tell us about your set up....:D

as far as the T56 it depends on what you are doing with it. Behind a motor on street tires should hold up well up to 500 to 550HP. On slicks at the drag strip with the same power, it's probably break eventually.

It is a very strong trans and I love how close the gear ratios are together but keep in mind it takes serious work to install it. I have pictures of what I had to do to the tunnel to get the drivline angle to 3 degrees. If you try to just bolt it up it ends up at like 6 degrees or more. As far as its strength its about your best option period.

a t-56 is not the best tranny, period. you want a good trans with less work get a f-force t-5. if you get a cobra t-56 and making more then 450rwho the 10 spine input shaft will be on a short life span. then after thats upgraded the output shaft is the next weak link (anf the t.o.b. sleeve). my output shaft sheared sending my d/s out on my cobra. i now have a viper t-56 which is alot stonger (bigger and heavier too).

BAH! Richmond 6 speed can handle more, and it is a REAL 6 speed
:lol:
Well I have counted the gears as I drove the car and there are actually 6 of them. Although you are talking about the "overdrive" aspect of this t56 I'm sure but being I have not seen that it ever lugs and allows me to run a 3:70 gear without worring about the RPMs on the freeway I love it. I dont know if this one being a "Viper" model makes a differents? As far as the Prefab tunnel goes you still will have a decent ammount of work to do but I'd do it all over again tomorrow.

I bought my tunnel and crossmember from Darkhorse performance.

Shakin66 said:
BAH! Richmond 6 speed can handle more, and it is a REAL 6 speed
:lol:
Well I have counted the gears as I drove the car and there are actually 6 of them. Although you are talking about the "overdrive" aspect of this t56 I'm sure but being I have not seen that it ever lugs and allows me to run a 3:70 gear without worring about the RPMs on the freeway I love it. I dont know if this one being a "Viper" model makes a differents? As far as the Prefab tunnel goes you still will have a decent ammount of work to do but I'd do it all over again tomorrow.

I bought my tunnel and crossmember from Darkhorse performance.

What are your engine specs?
What fuel system? EDIT - Fuel delivery - EFI or Carb
What tire size are you running?

66+67 said:
What is a viper t56??:shrug:

its the T56 that Viper uses in their cars. Its bigger and needs to be modified to fit on a ford. D&D sells them to fit fords. They are bigger and heavier, and stronger then the ford version. they have different gear ratios, 6th gear is .50, and they have a viper symbol stamped on the side of the case where the shifter bolts too.

darkhorse transmission

Guys,
Do you know if the transmission offered at darkhorse performance is a viper spec unit, or what it is? (or what it's rated to?) Also, i'd be curious to see what you had to do the the tunnel to mount it in a 66, that's what I plan to do as well. What are you guys running for rearends behind them?