T5 5 Speed, Where did you get yours?

• Sponsors (?)

Most T5s are not rated for more than 260-300ft lbs of torque. If you plan on upgrading your classic for more power than this and like to launch hard, then you're better off getting a modified T5 now. If my stock one ever breaks, I'm getting a G-force replacement.

Yeah,
That’s a concern. The T5z is rated at 330 ft lbs. ($1149.95 from Summit new)

That’s why I asked about the eBay tranny from Texas Motorsports. They claim it can handle 400 ft lbs and uses some G-force type parts. ($900 rebuilt)

They offer the 2.95 1st gear version for $200 more.

What is better the 3.35 or 2.95 first gear version?

I like 2.95 1st, so you can run taller gears and still use 1st. The VERY FIRST thing I'd do to a T5 is spend the $50 on a billet countergear stabilizer, and my next mod would be an aftermarket shifter. The billet stabilizer goes a long way towards eliminating the case deflection that screws up the gear meshing and kills T5s.

Yeah, I have heard and read that replacing the Counter Gear stabilizer is Key.

So the Texas Motorsports Rebuilt Tranny has

hardened gears , race cut syncro assemblies , G - Force style cluster gear retainer and steel cobra style bearing retainer . Item comes with Polyurethane transmission mount.

Price of about $ 900 for the 3.35 version
And $ 1,100 for the 2.95 version.

Seems like a fair price.

Think about the overdrive gear as well

do the math and figure out if you'd be better served with a 0.80:1 overdrive gear versus the stock 0.63:1 gear set.
I find on the freeway with 3.55 gears, that i'm running between 1,600 and 2000 rpms with the 0.63 O.D. most of the time. 5th would be practically useless for an open track event.

YMMV,

Scott

That's what I thought when I built mine too

But now that I'm driving it, I'm finding I'd rather have the 3.55's but with an 0.80 OD. the rpms are too low for the amount of traffic on our roads.

Of course, YMMV,

Scott

As far as the price is concerned, it looks like you would be better off getting something and getting it built locally.

Even if I didn't have 3 t-5s laying around, I could pick up a junk one locally for under $400 (not a world class) or go to a junkyard (even less $) . . . and get it built for $300-400. So save a little money, not worry about shipping and if I have issues he is down the street.

Why does it seem like here in GA, stuff is cheaper?

The T5 doesn't take kindly to hard launches and hard shifts. If you aren't pushing more than 300ish torque and drive more spirited than hard... you should be fine with a used WC T5. The upgrades are great but can get very costly very quick. I suggest start with a T5 then upgrade later if it breaks.
Kevin

Thanks for the replies.

66Runt. If my current 3.25’s are to steep after the swap I can always trade them out.

Realmongo- thanks for the link.

Fairlane. I think I found a local guy he rebuilds them at a reasonable cost.

Sicarius428. I think I would rather spend a little more now on the upgrades for some piece of mind.

I hear ya... I recent tried to rebuild my T5 with the hanlon kit and it turns out that the roller bearings between the intake an output shaft wern't hardened at all. My T5 is pretty much trashed... well for the cost of fixing it so I just ordered a TKO600 just to be done with it. I totally see where you are coming from.
Kevin