t5 bellhousing spacer

I just picked up a 2002 3.8 T5 that I want to swap into my wifes 91 GT. I know all the options, getting the 94-95 Gt bellhousing, swapping input shafts because both the bellhousing and input shaft are 5/8 inch longer. But I was wondering if anyone has made a spacer plate to go between the transmission and bellhousing to extend it the 5/8 of and inch and still be able to use the stock fox bell housing? which are easier and a lot cheaper to find. I cant seem to find a 94-95 BH for less then $150.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure that's not available. Even if it was available, the cost of shortening the driveshaft would out weigh changing the input shaft.

Kurt

McLeod makes an aluminum spacer for use with their SFI bellhousings. Their bells are fox length and the spacer is used if running in an SN95 with a SN95 tranny. The spacer is like $250 though.

You are wanting to do the opposite, run a SN95 tranny in a fox and it will actually set the tranny back 5/8" and your slip yoke will bottom out in the tailshaft of the tranny under suspension travel.

Easiest thing to do would be swap in the correct length input shaft on the front of the tranny. New ones can be bought for just under $50.

The T5 input shaft removal is simple. Simply remove the front bearing retainer and remove the input. The front bearing is tapered so you don't have to worry about any loose bearings falling out. Be sure to catch the bearing race and any shims that may come out with it. How ever many shims come out, must go back in to ensure the end play is correct.

You can down load the service manual for the T5 for free at Tremec's website,
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/product.asp#Service Manuals

+1 what he said. The wheelbase is 5/8" shorter on the foxbody and you run the risk of bottoming out the driveshaft. Changing out the input shaft is super easy.

Kurt

I have a friend that is running a 95 t5 in his 79 mustang with no prob. I dont think it is an issue if you run the right bellhousing from a 94-95 gt. But I see what you mean with the tranny being 5/8" longer you could run into hitting the shaft on the back of the tranny. But there seems to be like there is a good amount of room for play in the shaft to tranny location. I have also read about people using fox trannys and bellhousings in sn95's.

The transmission in a 94/95 sits in the same place in relation to the rearend as the fox trannies do. The only change they made was they moved the engine itself 3/4" forward, so to make up for the distance they lengthened the input shaft and bellhousing to reach the motor. Thus, the driveshafts are the same size. If you used a fox bellhousing and a 3/4" plate between the bell and tranny, the transmission would end up in the EXACT same place the 94/95 unit would be. No D/S modifications would be necessary.

If you have any friends that work in metal fabrication getting a plate like that made is no issue, but as was mentioned the plates available on the market are much more expensive than a new input shaft.

The transmission in a 94/95 sits in the same place in relation to the rearend as the fox trannies do. The only change they made was they moved the engine itself 3/4" forward, so to make up for the distance they lengthened the input shaft and bellhousing to reach the motor. Thus, the driveshafts are the same size. If you used a fox bellhousing and a 3/4" plate between the bell and tranny, the transmission would end up in the EXACT same place the 94/95 unit would be. No D/S modifications would be necessary.

The OP is putting a (longer) sn95 trans into a fox.....so if you use a sn95 tranny in a fox with either the sn95 bell or a spacer plate on a fox bell the tranny would sit further back closer to the rearend.

look get a fox body bellhousing for $100 shipped to you then u get 8 watchers beteewn the trans and the bell call me 305-763-7217 or check out my site Mustang Parts if you need any more parts

one more tip you can charge the input shaft to a fox i can get it reman for $130 shipped

So you just leave a 5/8" gap all around between the trans and bell? Isn't there a locating lip/ring on the trans that fits into the bell to help center it and keep the input shaft inline with the crank? I wouldn't think using the washers as spacers on the 4 bolts would make the tranny as rigid as if it was sitting flush to the bellhousing.

So you just leave a 5/8" gap all around between the trans and bell? Isn't there a locating lip/ring on the trans that fits into the bell to help center it and keep the input shaft inline with the crank? I wouldn't think using the washers as spacers on the 4 bolts would make the tranny as rigid as if it was sitting flush to the bellhousing.

He's obviously trying to sell something to someone when he has no clue what he's talking about :nonono:

And you are right, the circle part has to engage the bellhousing to make sure everything is center and for rigidity.

Yeah, it centers on the flange for the bearing retainer there, so you can't have a 5/8" gap there, and it centers on the dowels on to the engine, so you can't have a gap there.

Kurt

New to the t5 tranmission scene, say I have a fox transmission with a 94-95 bellhousing, I would need to get a shorter input shaft?
say I had a 94-95 transmission, with a fox bellhousing, I would need to get a longer input shaft