T5 Conversion Clutch Pedal Travel

Dexter Reid

Jan 22, 2017
Just did a c4 to t5 conversion in my 66 fastback. My machanic has worked out all issues except one...... He said the added clutch pedal doesn't have enough travel to disengage the clutch completed. If I were to dive it in the normal clutch position it will destroy the throw out bearing In a week. That being said the clutch pedal is about 5 inches higher than the brake and by the time the clutch engages my knee would be in my mouth if the steering wheel wasn't in the way. Tranny was originally installed by a back yard mechanic who of course just made sure I could drive it. There was one part I can remember not being used. A big silver block used on the firewall to adjust the cable that I paid for but wast used...... It that why I'm having this issue or is there something else? I am so close to being able to get in this car and drive it when want to. Instead of the only time I drive it is when I'm taking it from one machanic to another. Please help!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

You have provided no information about your build. Stock clutch pedal and support? Cable clutch linkage? I think a picture or two would certainly assist anyone who might be inclined to want to help you. Describing a part as "a big silver block" just isn't enough info!

BTW - Any mechanic that would put you on the road with a clutch pedal that is 5 inches higher than the brake should loose his business license and be sued for gross incompetence.

First I would check the pedal where the cable is connected and make sure the cable is in the groove of the quadrant
clutch quadrant_LI.jpg

This quadrant gets welded to the top of your pedal and if that cable is not in the groove it will reduce the actual fork travel (ratio changes). Also make sure its welded in the right spot. If its too low it will also change the travel (ratio).

Or the pieces used for the conversion may be mismatched. Which bell housing did he use? which clutch fork, which pedal assy? And can you snap a pic of this big silver block you are talking about. Is it the firewall mounted support.
You shouldn't have to figure this out on your own. if you paid this man to do the conversion then make him figure out the cause.

In the attached image, you will see the quadrant that TOS was referring to in the previous post. You'll also see the clutch pedal stop that is obviously missing from your installation if your pedal is returning 5" higher than the brake pedal. Get these parts corrected before moving on to the next possible issues.
clutch pedal quadrant.jpg

Also, If he didn't use the support block then what is the cable supported against? The firewall? That block is sturdy and is made that way so there is no movement (flexing) when you depress the pedal. If only attached to your firewall then the firewall will flex. Your firewall alone is not strong enough to support that kind of pressure and will flex. Your pedal support may take up some of that but your cable rides above that support and can still flex the firewall. Only a quarter of an in flex will make a big difference in travel from your pedal. Same is true if the cable bracket is not used and allows the cable to move or flex. This also will affect the actual travel.

Dexter, The "big silver block" you refer to has to be the same as the support block tos references in post #5 (see the image below). Get it installed before proceeding any further. You can see in the picture, where it attaches. If you take care of the issues described to this point in this thread, you can be reasonably assured that the top end is correct and the problem is at the other end. One step at a time!
AdjBraceInstalled-325x255.jpg