T5 swap gone bad

Hey guys, just finished the AOD to T5 swap on my 92 conv. Using the A9P computer, changed the 02 sensor harness to the correct one for manual and installed the factory T5 harness. Problem is I have no start, no crank, no headlights, no fuel pump run, nothing. Obviously, all this worked fine before the swap. I checked/replaced the neutral safety switch pretty sure that's not the problem. Everything is hooked up the way it should be as far as I can tell. Any ideas on what to check next? Confused

• Sponsors (?)

Using a test light follow battery power from the battery to the solenoid, starter, then to check the ignition switch pull the plastic piece under the steering column and there is a connector/switch on the column under the dash, they are prone to failure.

Reactions: 1 user
More detailed instructions:

Just a sidenote, with an A9P you should not have changed to the 5 speed O2 harness. The computer/ecu dictates the O2 harness, not the trans. A9P uses an AOD O2 harness and an A9L uses a manual 5 speed O2 harness. You can run a 5 speed on an A9P with an Auto O2 harness with no issues.

Chris

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Just a sidenote, with an A9P you should not have changed to the 5 speed O2 harness. The computer/ecu dictates the O2 harness, not the trans. A9P uses an AOD O2 harness and an A9L uses a manual 5 speed O2 harness. You can run a 5 speed on an A9P with an Auto O2 harness with no issues.

Chris

Second this. I'm actually surprised this turned out to not be why your car wouldn't start. Start voltage is directly involved in the neutral safety circuit in the auto setup, and NOT in the manual setup.

I'll try to clear up the confusion, I repinned the 02 harness using this information: Same harness repinned

An AOD O2 harness can be converted to a T5 O2 harness in 5 minutes.Simply unplug the O2 harness connector located under the MAF sensor in 89+(88 Cal.)5.0 mustangs.Use a small flat head to remove the red plastic insert inside the connector which locks the pins in.With a tiny flat head,bend the plastic locking tab back that holds the pin in and use a straightened paper clip or something to push the pin out.You'll notice the AOD harness has one unused pin slot and the gray rubber section does not have a hole for this unused pin.Use a small drill bit to poke a hole in this soft rubber.Now move the purple/yellow looped wire from the AOD position to the T5 position.This must be done to every AOD to T5 swap but is never mentioned in any of the popular how-to guides !!!!

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Yes I understand how to repin the harness, but the statement that this needs to be done on every T-5 swap is incorrect. The only reason you would do this on a T-5 swap is if you ALSO swap the A9P for a manual A9L (Which you do not need to do). My point is if you keep the A9P computer you should not repin the harness. The harness is related to the A9p or the A9L only, not which trans is physically in the car.