T5 swap. Have questions

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
Hazleton, Pa
I'm about to install a t5 in my 66. Those of you that have done this, what setup are you using for the clutch... Z bar or cable? What type of speedo cable should I use? I heard I should use one from an automatic. Also if anyone has a t5 out of their car I need a measurement. I need to find out how long the throw out bearing retainer is on a V8 t5, 93 and older. the reason is I have t5 from a 96 V6. I swapped out the input shaft but the throw out bearing shaft is too long. Any help would be great! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I did a hydraulic clutch setup on my stang. It only cost me around 200 for the parts and I have been very satisfied with the results. As far as your need to change your throwout bearing shaft I can't be to much help there. There is a place called Hanlon motorsports that does T5 sales and service. They may be able to give you the specs you need. Another place to look is at the manufacturers page. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-5.asp
Hope this helps.

wow, i just re-read your post...i have a T5 out of my car less than 3 feet away from me as i type this. The part of the collar that the throwout bearing sits on is 2 15/16. The overall length of the retainer is 4 3/8, give or take a 16th. if you need anything else, let me know, as i said i have a T5 right here....cant pick it up or move it for a few more weeks...but its here.

go with a late-model bellhousing. i didn't and it's driving me nuts because i bent a z-bar and clutch rods with my wicked clutch. and i can't use a hydraulic clutch setup because the clutch fork pushes the opposite direction from a clutch rod setup. or ... go a step up and do a hydraulic throw-out bearing, in which case you'd need to make a pedal stop so as not to kill it.

and i think the T-5 adapter kits are cheaper when using a late-model bellhousing since there's no big spacer plate, the tranny just bolts right up to it.

I used the following items:

'69/'73 164 tooth Toploader bell housing, and starter.
Ram Clutch Kit (disc, pp and throwout bearing)
Ram Flywheel (steel billet 164 tooth, 50 oz-in for 5.0L engine)
Late model T5 pilot bearing
California Pony Cars adapter plate for Toploader bell housing
California Pony Cars crossmember for T5.
California Pony Cars pivot adapter for 164 tooth bell housing/5.0L engine.

Clutch linkage is stock except for pivot adaper above. Fits and works perfectly. Driveshaft was shortened 7/8" and re-balanced.

Thanks alot for all your help!!!! Right now I have a late model bellhousing with the trans. I might keep the z bar linkage just in case I ever go back to the old 4 speed. Does anyone have the speedo cable hooked up to their t5? If so which one are you using? I've read pretty much every artice on the t5 swap but just wanted to hear what everyone else is using. Once again thanks for all your help and if you can think of anything else that would help me out....just post it! Thanks again!

I used a t5 bellhousing and made a pivot spacer to use my old fork and z-bar setup. it works, but my zbar is mis-aligned and possibly bending. As soon as i can get the late model fork parts, i would like to switch to the hydraulic setup. i think i shortened my driveshaft 3/4". my toploader bell was 164 tooth/10" clutch. I eneded up getting a 157tooth flywheel (FRPP) and a 10.5" clutch (RAM). If you switch flywheels, make sure to get the right balance (28oz vs 50oz).

I have the t5 with a lakewood scattershield (replaces old style bell housing), Center Force dual friction clutch, and originial linkage - it came this way from the PO. If there was one thing I would change it would be the linkage - just too many piviot (friction) points and the geometry changes every time you use the accelerator. (Why do you thing modern cars do not use mechanical linkages.)