T5 transmission question

Dreamevil01

Sep 19, 2020
Nebraska
Okay guys, I just installed a new throw out bearing for my clutch and now come to find out after I have been driving it for a week the clutch fork I believe came off of the pivot ball. When I installed it was kind of b!@ch to slide the pivot ball but I thought I got on and yes I headed both parts. My thinking is I need to replace both the fork and the pivot ball. Here is my question.. Can I take off the old pivot ball and install the new one without taking the bell housing off?

• Sponsors (?)

I mean you could, but it's a tight squeeze to get your hand and wrench in there. I have an engine with a bell on a stand and I tried to get my hand in and couldn't. It was close.

I mean you could, but it's a tight squeeze to get your hand and wrench in there. I have an engine with a bell on a stand and I tried to get my hand in and couldn't. It was close.
The only reason I'm asking is just saving time. This time around I don't even think I'm going to take the exhaust off just because I kept seeing things online that you have to take it off but when I look it looks like the transmission can come off without taking the exhaust off. I'm not too worried about getting a wrench or my hand I'm just worried about the clearance between the pivot ball and pressure plate.

I’ll see if I can get a pic later. I can check on this. A little different but should give you an idea

53427A3C-6119-4F91-A1B0-B111FC4BA6DC.jpeg

Not sure your getting this out without removing the bell. Obviously there are differences between the 3.8 and a 302, buy it looks like the pivot would hit the pressure plate as it backs out.

I also couldn’t get my wrench on it. Would need to cut a wrench down to use on the pivot.
DEA9FCD2-FF4F-4DD1-B112-B1781C2557F9.jpeg
EB1285FC-3F11-4C0C-8311-44172EA4DDBD.jpeg
2690DEA1-18FD-490B-AAA6-76D4D12D417D.jpeg

Wow that does look really close ☹️. Well if I have to take the housing off then that's what I will do. I know I also have to get the back of the engine where the o2 sensor connection is. It needs to be replaced. Thanks for the pics, wish I had a 5.0.