t56 6-speed is in!

02LaserRed2V

Jul 30, 2004
Augusta, GA
After driving all noon and evening, I'm finally home! Wow, my car sounds different and feels different. The shifts are a lot firmer too. Since I'm still breaking the trans and clutch in, I haven't beat on it yet, so I can't make much comparisons against the auto as far as actual SOTP performance goes.

I stalled at least 5 times in town now. I do fine when no one is around. But whenever I'm at a red light and there are many cars behind me, I choke and mess up. I restart the car and stall again....perhaps because I'm rushing myself while under pressure. My driveway (which is fairly steep) also gave me fits, but I manage to crawl in. Backing out will be tough, I think...but I'll get there.

Anyways, I'm going back out later tonight and will cruise some and break in some more miles since the traffic should be a lot less hectic. :)

btw, new #s are in sig. Previous w/auto was 381hp/400tq

• Sponsors (?)

^ I guess one little dyno pull wouldnt hurt, since its ran a single gear? I think the speed shifting is what does the most damage.

I'm kinda surprised at how much hp the auto was robbing. Then again, it was totally shot.

Yea 34RWHP is ALOT! And yea no WOT shifts or quick on power releasing of the clutch....durring this time it can glaze the clutch. I would go WOT in gear either for a while, (street or dyno) but i dont think it would hurt anything at all.

I dont eve think its a huge deal to break them in...its more or less they dont want you zinging it down the 1/4 track just after changing it (depending on power). Its to cover their butts if you ask me :nice: .

wow a 34rwhp gain going to the manaul? That IS a lot of power to be had for a tranny swap.

If you don't mind me asking... why did you decide to go with the manual instead of building an auto tranny for that power? A race tranny is auto and will get you down the track quicker. Was this just done for the fun factor?

I swap for a manual simply because I wanted a more fun street car with limited track time. I've wanted a stick for a long time so I took advantage of my situation and got one.

So far, my upshifting seems fine, but I need to work on my downshifting.

^how so? I dont think your supposed to catch every gear while your slowing down. from a highway cruiz to a stop, I usualy shift down to 4th and then when that gets to 1500 I just pop it in neutral. If im in any particular gear besides 2nd, I may downshift 1 time and then pop it in N.

Now if you were to say do this, then traffic resume, then that takes some practice as to where/which gear to put it in.

You may also do what my friend with the 02 M6 ss camaro does. 1-2-4-6. Skip shifting....particularly easy with all the grunt of the KB. Should help milage, saves the clutch, and keeps you from getting tired of shifting.

Hey Congrats on your new T-56 your car must be a blast to drive.
Your right I would keep your foot out of it for a bit so, the new
transmission and clutch can break in properly.I know you will get
400+ RWHP with your set up. :nice:

I've been contemplating this exact swap lately. I won't be blasting down the 1/4 all that much so going the built auto route has been becoming less appealing to me. How much did the complete swap cost you? You wouldn't happen to have a parts list would you? :)

02LaserRed2V said:
I unintentially do 5-2 instead of 5-4. I also accidentally do 3-4 instead of 3-2.

LOL man i forgot that you had the mustang/ford version of the T 56. In that case I completely understand where your coming from....thats the ONLY car style tranny I cant drive. 2 03-04 cobras and I could hardly get the thing down the road lol. It either wont go into gear, or I hit the wrong gear....so dont feel bad. And iv been driving manuals for about 2 years. Oh and I have 0 issues with the T 56s in the camaros and corvettes...never miss a gear. Good luck with it :nice: .

hotmustang331 said:
LOL man i forgot that you had the mustang/ford version of the T 56. In that case I completely understand where your coming from....thats the ONLY car style tranny I cant drive. 2 03-04 cobras and I could hardly get the thing down the road lol. It either wont go into gear, or I hit the wrong gear....so dont feel bad. And iv been driving manuals for about 2 years. Oh and I have 0 issues with the T 56s in the camaros and corvettes...never miss a gear. Good luck with it :nice: .
I here that from alot of people....
Thats why if i do this swap it would be the Viper Spec T-56 from D&D