Taking A 1971 351 Windsor And Putting It In A 1996 V6 Mustang

Austin1989

Aug 9, 2012
i have a 1996 v6 mustang, and one day my step dad in coversation just mentioned that a 351 windsor would bolt in there. That kinda got me thinking that would be a cool thing to do. I know that alot of people would just say its not worth it you might as well just go buy a gt, and sell my car i got now, but my step dad has a 1971 windsor motor form when he replaced it with a 351 clevland in is 1971 mach 1. He explained to me that i would still have to buy a new trans and other odds and ends, and with a rough estiment i would have to put around 1,500 into it. I am fine with that because i think it would be a cool project. My step dad has restored many classic/muscle cars, and would be helping me. I trust his knowledge, but i just dont know if there are any thing he may be over looking or may not realize about taking an older motor and putting it in a fairly newer car since its not verry common. If any one has done a similar projest or has any added incite i would greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have a stroked 351 in my car. If you carb it then it will be fairly easy. You just need a 94/95 Mustang 5.0 K member. Use whatever accessory brackets although the 94/95 will cost more but give you room between the radiator and engine. If not your have to do what i did and hammer the radiator support to move the radiator a couple inches forward. Get a Ford racing double sump swap pan or Canton. (Ford is alot cheaper) The 7.5 Rear end should really be swapped out for a 94/95 rear. The junk yard will save you alot of cash. You also need swap headers. Mac makes 1 3/4 headers that will fit close to OEM and are about the cheapest you will get at $320. Also you will need a T5 or AOD transmission to make it work.