Taking the dive...

bynummustang

Seen my other Jackstand?
Jul 24, 2005
NC State University
New Engine... Rick, need info

Since my engine is gone, I'm going to go ahead and get everything new, except intake and RR. Everything else will be new. I know I'm going to go 342/347, but I'm having a bit more difficulties deciding on where to get the bottom end, or get a whole long block.

I don't want a crate engine, but I do plan on getting most things from one place. I've heard many things from CHP and D.S.S. good and bad. I've also heard nothing but good things from Rick. I sent him an e-mail, but he never got back to me with a quote.

Give me some recomendations for this..:SNSign: :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

are you gonna stay N/A or go with a blower/nitrous setup? if it was me i would build a dart block, go with some afr 205's or ported victor jr's, a custom cam and a holley or edelbrock intake, then pick a good turbo or supercharger and call it a day.

but if ur not rich... lol then build up a 10.5:1 N/A motor with some afr 165 or 185's and a custom cam with the intake you alreday have.

ive heard good things about ed curtis from flowtech induction for cams, they usually make good power, and definitly talk to Rick, he knows his stuff and everyone is real happy with the work he puts out, he will set you up with a motor thats good whatever kind of power/driving you plan on doing.

I'm pretty sure he will, but I'm just looking for more advice. My goals are a daily driving 100% reliable street warior, going for about 400RWHP. Not wanting to have to go up to the Dart type blocks. I'm a high school student, so I don't want to go $$$$, but I do understand that a powerful engine does cost some decent coin.

342/347 a good route for that?

total plans:
342/347
185 heads
Current RPM upper and lower
24#injectors w/MAF
current 1.6 RR
high flow water pump
F cam
misc. parts

I would do a 351W,rebuilt with forged pistons 10:1 comp,Victor Jr or AFR 185cc heads,get a new 5.8 lower for the RPM and a custom hyd. roller cam.

I just feel that a 351W is more duable than a 302,or 347 stroker even with stock parts (properly machined of course).

I too will recommend the 351w conversion.

If you aren't sure what is needed, and want to know, I have posted a swap FAQ on my site.

The strength of the 302 is pretty lame, compared to the 351w. But, with all the conversion parts it may be cheaper to do a 302 stroker? Maybe?

jason

Please re-send the e-mail and I'll reply, either I missed it or it got filtered out. [email protected] If you ever e-mail me and I do not answer call me 717-343-2108 that goes for anyone, just remember I am on the East Coast...lol I canl;t tell you haw many times I get calls at 12:00-1:00am.

bynummustang said:
Even with the fuel injection conversion, that will mean everything new, computer and most harnesess. Won't that come to way more than the 342.

It sounds like you would prefer to go the stroker 302 route, so I won't get too detailed.

Basically the fuel system will be the same for a 347 compared to a 351w.

The computer and wiring are all the same as the stock 302, as are the sensors.

If you are interested check this out
http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/index.htm

Best of luck what ever you choose,
jason