Technical Articles - Coming SOON!!!

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Due to overwhelming demand, Stangnet has decided to expand its technical articles section!!!

As this project is just getting off the ground, I have volunteered my time to review, edit, and check for content and validity of any tech articles that will be posted on Stangnet. My volunteering is also to alleviate the owner of having to spend hours doing the aforementioned grunt work related to posting articles.

You, the members of Stangnet, in order to help others in their Mustang modification endeavors, as well as sharing the knowledge, submit these articles! As such, I will be open to all of your questions and comments about this process.

Currently, I have one email account that I use, and I would like to receive all your articles through this account. Please send your articles to [email protected]. All questions, comments, or otherwise, should be directed to my Private Messages here on Stangnet, MarvinMyCat.

During the review process, I would ask that submitters make themselves equally available, as I may need to clarify certain things, or update articles if there are responses or corrections to them pointed out by other members of our community. Please send all correspondence of this nature to my Private Message account, MarvinMyCat, here on Stangnet.

I don’t claim to be an expert on all things Mustang, so I will more than likely have questions for some of you in regard to the technical aspects of these articles. It is my intention to help maintain and grow the Technical Articles section into a vast and useful database for all to read, use, and enjoy. Remember, you will get out of this section, what you put into it!

When sending articles to me, please follow these simple guidelines:

Include within the Subject Header, the word Stangnet and the name of the article. I.e. “Stangnet: 4.6L Long Tube Headers Install.

Include your Stangnet Id. in the article so that I can contact you if there are any questions, and also say if you would like your name withheld from being the article’s author. There will be a disclaimer included always, and for all articles, in case there is anyone who is worried about the liability and consequences of posting an article, and someone destroying something because they are doing it themselves, or didn’t follow the instructions.

Use forums rules for file attachments such as: bmp, doc, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, PDF, png, psd, txt.

You may send your articles as an attachment in an email using any Microsoft Word 2000 supported format, which includes Word backward compatible formats from the 80’s, RTF, txt, Word for MAC, Web Page, Word Perfect (MS and MAC), or Works 4.0 for Windows. You can also send the article as an email with either attached or embedded pictures or diagrams. If you send the pictures, etc. as attachments, please label them so I know what I am looking at. If you include something to the extent of “See Figure 1,” then label the picture as “Figure 1.”

Do not send me copyrighted material! If you must include a diagram, I would rather you attempt to draw it yourself or take a picture of whatever it is that the diagram is of (I’ll try to help you in this regard).

Do not plagiarize from copyrighted print, or electronic information to include Internet sites. You will have to re-write the articles yourself!

Use proper English and terminology when you can to help clarify parts and procedures.
Include decent pictures of your progress. “Before and after” pictures are always welcome!

Including a parts list and tools required for the job, as well as products used will be helpful as well and curb some of the questions people will have.

On this page http://www.stangnet.com/zone.shtml, you will find some of the Tech Articles that have been posted in the past. Please take some time to see some examples of ones that have been posted. We have not discussed the format that will be used yet, so get a good feel for some of the various articles to see which ones you would rather follow along with, and which ones you would want more information or pictures about or included within.

As there have been many how-tos posted in the forums, and if you know of one, or have written one yourself, send me the link, or re-write them and send them off to me, as I can’t search the entire site for all of them. Here are some article topics needed that would help in getting the section off to a good start:

No topic is too n00bish!

- Tire measurements and sidewall decoding.
- Tire rim spacers
- Tire pressure
- 8.8” rear end swap (T-Lok / gears install not recommended for the DIY’er or I’ll include an expert DIY warning on this one!)
- Body and ground effects kit install
- Cat-back install
- Muffler cutouts
- Rear upper/lower control arms install
- Front / rear suspension replacement and installation of various parts
- Sway bar installs
- Sub frame install
- Transmission upgrades, swaps
- Driveshaft install
- Fog light, head light, side marker, installs as well as sequential tail light conversions
- CAI install
- FR500 steering wheel install
- U/D pulley install
- FIPK install
- Removal of air silencer
- Air filter install
- PCV valve delete or bypass – I already have an article for this one
- Carpet replacement / cleaning
- Painting interior - I already have an article for this one
- MAF install
- TB install
- TB spacer install
- Battery relocation
- Tranny cooler install – I’m currently working on this one for the Automatic, I need one for a stick!!!
- Oil cooler install
- Antenna shortening / delete
- Graphics, letters, vinyl install
- Anything-interior involving Billet stuff
- Billet Fuel door install
- One touch window module install
- Interior opera lighting conversion
- Pedal covers install both screw-on and Bullitt OEM replacement types
- Take up slack in the accelerator
- Raising pedals to the same height
- Power window motor and convertible top motor replacement/rebuild
- Moving the front seats back for more leg room
- Door handle shaving and remote / hidden access switches (key fob additions and sensors)
- How to jack up and support the Mustang
- Towing guidelines (when it is broken, not horse trailers))
- How to drive a stick shift!
- How to race at the drag strip – what to expect – what is all that stuff on the slip mean?
- CPU install (chip)
- EGR delete
- Install Mill eliminators (O2 sensors)
- Deciphering the electronic odometer and ODBII codes
- How to wash your Mustang, to include:
- What products to use, the best ones
- Nasty white vert tops – cleaning them
- Tires
- Rims (cleaning and maintenance – painting even)
- Wheel wells – I got this covered as well
- Muffler pipes
- What’s that clay bar do and how to use it?
- Waxes, pastes, and hard shells – what are they and how to apply them
- Random orbital waxing
- High-speed rotary waxing – why and how?
- Dings, dents, scratch, and rust repair
- All things stereo:
- Head unit replacement
- Full system replacement
- Adding subwoofers to your system
- Building a bass box
- Wiring how-tos
- What fits in the Mustang
- Capacitors
- Porting and polishing
- Polishing outside’s of engine and accessories
- Moving or replacing the stock spoiler
- Lowering your Mustang, why, how much, and what it does for you. C/C plates or not, why, bump-steer?
- Changing oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, radiator, windshield, filters, etc.
- General maintenance
- Lowering the wiper arms
- Traction Control – what is it, and when to use it?
- Windshield repair
- Rear seat deletes
- Neons (if you must)
- Interior accent lighting
- Hood pin install (the correct way – not like I did it!)
- Radiator, lower valance, hood, and side scoop grill installs, grill deletes
- Installing upholstery kits
- Painting calipers
- Polishing calipers
- Brake replacement including brake lines
- Changing spark plugs
- Changing / upgrading sparkplug wires, ignition system
- Starter installation
- Storing your Mustang for the winter
- Major engine work:
- Rebuilding / reconditioning
- Heads install
- Cam install
- Upper/lower intake installs
- Complete engine conversion
- Super charger install
- Turbo charger install
- Injector install
- Nitrous install
- Fuel pump install
- EEC and MAF modifications
- Converting a carbureted engine to EFI
- Fuel management system upgrades
- Everything else!!!

That’s just off the top of my head, feel free to make any other suggestions you would like to see in a how-to, or better yet, write one up. Happy writing!

“Promoting the Legend of the Ford Mustang…”

• Sponsors (?)

I agree...each forum should have its own tech articles. Installing a V1/V2 or a Procharger on a V6 should be in the V6 forums. I think trying to make one massive cesspool of tech articles is going to turn people off. Just my $.02

We're not touching the tech forums, just creating a page or seperate forum to put user-written tech articles in. That's what I am guessing at least, we're still hammering out the details. Messing with the existing forums defeats the purpose of having them.

I put a link in what I posted so you can see what and where the articles are located, and how they are posted (on a web page). That was the whole idea behind this. I won't mess with stickies either, those stay. The problem is that unless something is stickied, the post eventually gets archived, and I'm guessing that a lot of people would like those types of posts made permanent somewhere. I've written 5 how-tos, and all of them were archived.

I'm only accepting and posting articles, and mostly spell checking them, and ensuring the grammar is correct, and that people use correct terminology by not writing something that tells someone to look for a "thingy" or "doodad."

Thanks.