Technical tranny question

CRASH7772

Apr 27, 2003
NH
Any idea how much more a TKO looses over a T-5 for drivetrain loss. I know a healthy T-5 can be around 10% but as high as 15%. I know it's a well what about this and what about that question but just wondering if anybody dynoed before and after without any other mods done other than TKO swap.

• Sponsors (?)

Probably not enough to even be concerned about.

The reason you'd be running a Tremec is for increased strength and torque handling over a normal T-5, so even if you lose a few more horses over a T-5, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

hmm, always thought the entire parasitic drivetrain loss was ~15%....not just the trans. autos must be real sloths.....or is that what you meant?

KN is spot on. if you need the beef, you need it and have the HP to back it up (eg, TH350 vs a TH400).

that said, i would not fret whatever the difference is.

my two cents.

Not enought to really worry about. Of course there will be a little more due to beffier and heavier gears but not really that much. I have a TKO500 and noticed no loss in the 1/8th mile MPH range, actually gained mph.

Well instead of making tons of power I'm trying to put the most power to the ground as I can. I know there is some loss with the TKO over the T-5 but I will be doing a aluminum d/s and aluminum flywheel. Was really wondering if it would offset or still increase output overall. I won't know for sure becasue I will have to many things done from the last dyno to the one after the TKO install.

90mustangGT said:
Not enought to really worry about. Of course there will be a little more due to beffier and heavier gears but not really that much. I have a TKO500 and noticed no loss in the 1/8th mile MPH range, actually gained mph.

Yeah the TKO only weighs like 30 pounds more and some of that is in the case itself. Unless your switching to a C6 or something I wouldn't be worried about power losses.