tell tale signs?

• Sponsors (?)

If it is stock, hook a vacuum guage to it and make sure it pulls 20 in. hg. at idle. That is a sign of good general engine health. Look at the oil and coolant, do they look clean. Same with the tranny fluid. Crawl under it and look for rust and body damage, not to mention leaks. Dont forget to drive it, at least up to 70mph, if it shakes real bad up there this is the only way you will know.

-oil level
-color of oil (if it has been changed recently or not)
-compression check
-check for knocking noises or other bad signs
-check for seal leaks
-read the spark plugs

Ask for proof of maintenance if possible such as oil change bills or if it has been always done at a dealership, have a print out made of the file...

jerry beach said:
If it is stock, hook a vacuum guage to it and make sure it pulls 20 in. hg. at idle. That is a sign of good general engine health. Look at the oil and coolant, do they look clean. Same with the tranny fluid. Crawl under it and look for rust and body damage, not to mention leaks. Dont forget to drive it, at least up to 70mph, if it shakes real bad up there this is the only way you will know.
when i drove it before, i got it up to 50 and it was fine. could it be much different at 70?

make sure you take it for a good long test drive and look at the guages a lot....make sure everything is normal. Let it sit there and idle for a while with some accesories running like A/C or heat. check temp and voltage. check the oil, coolant, tranny fluid. I would also give a quick look over all the normal tune up stuff like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, blah blah blah. make sure the motor was well taken care of. dont forget to test all the little things inside the car too, to make sure everything works like it should. power Seats, windows, lights, guages, and all that good stuff that can give u a barganing edge to get the price down a little bit haha! god luck man