Temperature gauge in the water neck?

I saw a picture of someone's car here recently that had a temp gauge installed in the water neck's screw in port. I would like to do the same but the ones I have used in the past all have a probe instead of being able to be screwed right in. Any help here would be appreciated greatly!

• Sponsors (?)

I did the same thing on both my mustangs with aftermarket gauges and both VDO and Autometer have threaded probes. My autometer came with adapters which you can probably find at a hardware store pretty easily. Only thing is that you are reading water temp as it leaves the engine so It won't be as accurate as the probe in the intake manifold. Just an FYI. Seeing you got a 347 all I did for my 5.0 was tap the stock thermostat housing with I believe a 3/8 NPT.
Kevin

10secgoal said:
I wouldn't do it. One day your thermostat decides to stick closed, your temp will show fine, but the motor is really getting hot...some food for thought.

A possible fix is to drill a few 1/8" holes in the edge of the t-stat so a little water can always pass. I don't know if it works, just an idea.

I forgot which sender I have in the thermostat housing and which is in the intake. I have the stock one and also a sender for an Autometer I haven't installed yet.

EDIT: The Autometer is in the port by the distrbutor and the stocker is in the water neck. We'll see how they work when I get the AM installed. I also found a cast aluminum factory Ford water neck on some late '70s 351W. I think it's a C9 part.