Temperature Gauge not working! Please Help!!

JD96GT

Jun 7, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
I have a 96 GT and I replaced my coolant temperature sensor because my fan was not coming on when I turned the a/c on and my car would start to overheat. So After I replaced it the fan came on like it was supposed to. So I took it for a test drive and to find out my temp. gauge no longer works! So I ask around and one guy tells me it needs to be an O.E. Sensor for the computer to read it right. So I bought an O.E. sensor and I still got the same problem... Could it maybe be an air pocket in my cooling system??? Ive also checked the fuses and there all ok too. Could someone please help?! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Im not familiar with pre 99 stangs so I dunno if I can help much but I would start by checking the wiring that goes to the sensor,good connections,use a volt meter to check for power to the sensor.Did you drain the coolant when changing the sensor,if not and the gauge worked before I dunno why it would have and air pocket and if it did I would think that it would still be getting hot or at least thats the way it was on the alll the older Z28's and TA's I owned would do.
NM,taking out the sensor opens the system....duh,I wasnt thinking on that one.:rlaugh:

Also the stock temp(all gauges) gauge really isnt good at all,its just a fancy idiot light,it reads if its cold,normal running temp, or really hot...not much in between,A cheap mechanical temp gauge would be more accurate than the stocker.

hey..

Hey thanks for both of your advice!! Well to answer the one guys question I replaced the left sensor (for the fan) and did not touch the right sensor. I thought maybe since I replaced the left sensor then maybe I have to replace the right one as well thinking they work together and now they dont know how to respond to each other.?? I really have no idea my plans were to just go buy the temperature sending sensor (right one) tommorow and put it in just to see what happens since its under like 20 bucks. But anyways thanks for both or your help. Hopefully ill be able to work on it more tommorow in this heat. It reached 103 today here in NC. Well thanks again and have a g-nite..