Terrible vibration from engine

J90GT

Sep 15, 2005
cut to the chase.

92 LX, 5 speed, 125k on the clock. e-cam. shortys to h pipe are the only mods. did have a procharger on it in the past about 10k miles ago.

ive been driving it about 60 miles a week recently, been running smooth.

Driving yesterday i took it up to about 5k in 2nd but shift slowly into 3rd nothing crazy. hit a stop light, turns green next thing i know ithe car is vibrating something fierce. i pull over. check it all out nothing out of the norm limp it home about 8 miles. good oil pressure all the way home, shifted good too

virabates terrible when slowing down like the car is going to fall apart, at idle is pretty rough too. once you get going about 30-40 not nearly as bad.

only thing i notice was the balancer appears to be wobbley but the bolts are tight so perhaps it looks wobbley because the whole engine is vibrating. kinda optical illusion kinda thing.

what say you stang net? bottom end fubar? simple balancer problem? i thought maybe clutch but it shifted fine all the way home

• Sponsors (?)

If the balancer looks like it's wobbling, you probably found the culprit. Take a look to see if there's any rubber sticking out where the outer ring is bonded to it. If there is, or the ring moves, etc, the balancer is toast.

I agree with stangGT1995. Remove the pulley from the balancer and take a good look. You may even have to remove the balancer to take a very close look. If the rubber looks torn or out of place you have found your problem.

SAME EXACT THING happened to me last month. if you hear the noise of the balancer bouncing around, then it has actually seperated in two peices. My friend didnt even believe me when I told him b/c he didnt think it was possible. Try moving the balancer around with your hand. I took mine off and it came off in two, the center peice and the weight had actually separated.

bolt was broken completely off which apparentley cracked the balancer and had oil dripping down the pan. the bolt needs to be drilled out now. the solid oil pressure makes me believe the bottom end is still good. thanks for the suggestion guys