Test drove a 05 GT for about 20 miles!

2112 said:
Why the hell are you guys comapring the $25K 05 GT to a $35K Cobra, or even the more expensive Mach? The 05 GT is the FASTEST car you can buy for the price period, what more do you want? Plus, the Cobra and Mach have the ugly ass last gen look that will never look as good as the 05.

hey dude... you can take your retro GT and look cool next to a guy smiling in an M3 any day of the week. if i had wanted that look i would have waited another month for it.

• Sponsors (?)

And once again, HP does not mean much of anything as far as acceleration goes. Torque is the only thing that matters. HP is simply a mathmatical expression of torque. Dynos to not measure HP, they measure torque. Think of it this way. Torque is what makes your car accelerate. HP is what makes your car run at a steady speed.

The torque/horsepower thing is interesting but how about an example:

1) 400 hp at 6000 rpm = 350 lb-ft
2) 500 hp at 8000 rpm = 328 lb-ft

Let's assume top gear going the same speed.
Car #1 with a 3.5 rear will have 3.5 x 350 lb-ft = 1225 lb-ft at the wheels. Since car #2 can run at a higher rpm it can run a higher gear, in this example for equivalent speed it would be the ratio of the rpms or 8000/6000. So car #2 can run a 3.5 x 8000/6000 or 4.66 rear to go the same speed. We can see though that 4.66 x 328 lb-ft = 1528 lb-ft at the wheels.
So yes, torque is what accelerates the car but hp determines how much torque you can get at the wheels.

Hope this helps.

351CJ said:
Look at my calculations above. I used 410 lb ft of torque for the Cobra.

And once again, HP does not mean much of anything as far as acceleration goes. Torque is the only thing that matters. HP is simply a mathmatical expression of torque. Dynos to not measure HP, they measure torque. Think of it this way. Torque is what makes your car accelerate. HP is what makes your car run at a steady speed.

torque is not the only thing that matters, ask the m3 guys, you would be surprised :)
also, i wonder why the lt1's were not low 13 sec cars in stock trim????
tq would make you move, but hp would keep you moving... and the more you have... the faster you'll go ....

mach1dsg said:
torque is not the only thing that matters, ask the m3 guys, you would be surprised :)
also, i wonder why the lt1's were not low 13 sec cars in stock trim????
tq would make you move, but hp would keep you moving... and the more you have... the faster you'll go ....

As far as acceleration it is torque. The reason why the M3 is so fast is it's very high red line.