Engine TFI relocation kit

Going to piggy back on this thread as I just finished the MRM Mk3 relocation kit. Have had the kit for a while and figured while I had the car down for a lot of maintenance and installing stuff I have had for years it would get installed as well. I ended up installing it between the core support and the cold air kit pipe where it goes through the inner fender. Made an aluminum bracket to mount the heat sink on and bolted that to the bottom of the front inner fender.

IMG_1852.jpg

Ended up getting different mounting hardware but used the aluminum spacers provided. Drilled the spacers out to accommodate the 1/4-20 x 2-1/2" stainless steel machine screws with nylock nuts.

IMG_1853.jpg

Bracket to car mounting hardware are stainless steel hex cap screws with nylock nuts:

IMG_1854.jpg

Used the hex cap screws included with the kit to mount up my existing TFI module. Used it rather than my new one because I know it works and I do not want to chase myself when I get the car back together and for some reason it does not want to run.

IMG_1855.jpg

Installed:
IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Dummy module installed on the distributor:
IMG_1859.jpg

Glad I was able to find the little ratcheting wrench for the TFI modules I bought about 20 years ago. Had to loosen up the distributor to get at the screws that hold the TFI on so I just used some white paint to mark the as found position of the distributor.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Going to piggy back on this thread as I just finished the MRM Mk3 relocation kit. Have had the kit for a while and figured while I had the car down for a lot of maintenance and installing stuff I have had for years it would get installed as well. I ended up installing it between the core support and the cold air kit pipe where it goes through the inner fender. Made an aluminum bracket to mount the heat sink on and bolted that to the bottom of the front inner fender.

IMG_1852.jpg

Ended up getting different mounting hardware but used the aluminum spacers provided. Drilled the spacers out to accommodate the 1/4-20 x 2-1/2" stainless steel machine screws with nylock nuts.

IMG_1853.jpg

Bracket to car mounting hardware are stainless steel hex cap screws with nylock nuts:

IMG_1854.jpg

Used the hex cap screws included with the kit to mount up my existing TFI module. Used it rather than my new one because I know it works and I do not want to chase myself when I get the car back together and for some reason it does not want to run.

IMG_1855.jpg

Installed:
IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Dummy module installed on the distributor:
IMG_1859.jpg

Glad I was able to find the little ratcheting wrench for the TFI modules I bought about 20 years ago. Had to loosen up the distributor to get at the screws that hold the TFI on so I just used some white paint to mark the as found position of the distributor.
Looks awesome great job installing it. mine should be delivered in a couple of days to me can't wait to install it.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that you have the Mk3 installed, What does your cluster Rpm gauge do at startup ? Does it bounce? Mine jumps to red line them back to normal idle the gauge acts normal when driving. Only after a startup it bounces for some reason like the new cars do.
I installed the kit a few years ago after my car died due to an overheating TFI while driving 60 MPH. I have had no issues with my tach after installing it. The wires going to the TFI are shielded but still susceptible to interference so make sure you keep them as far away from the plug wires as possible.

I installed the kit a few years ago after my car died due to an overheating TFI while driving 60 MPH. I have had no issues with my tach after installing it. The wires going to the TFI are shielded but still susceptible to interference so make sure you keep them as far away from the plug wires as possible.
Where did you route the 4 foot snake under the intake?

To stay on topic, when I relocated my TFI module I mounted to the side of the fender apron by the mass air meter the temperature of the module was about 100*F after a ride. I moved it to the present location in front of the March airbox when I switched to a Pro-M 77mm mass air meter. I found the new location was consistently 10*F cooler than being mounted on the fender apron by the mass air meter. Not a huge deal, but it was a measurable change in the right direction. Almost any mounting location is an improvement over the 180*F distributor.

Last edited:
Where did you route the 4 foot snake under the intake?
I initially had it between the valve cover and alternator right near where the plug wires route, but ended routing it lower and beneath the alternator to get it further away from my plug wires. I’ll try to get some pictures when I have a chance.