TFS HCI install - Idles like BROKEN motor mount

91lxttrim

Mar 7, 2006
AZ
Got the beast running but now at idle there is a clunking sound like a broken motor mount or like it's missing on a cyl. or two. Or could even be described as a BAD random, inconsistant vibration! And the cam sounds like it's HUGE! Real lopey idle. The specs are .499 and .510. Not a big cam. Any ideas what would cause this?

• Sponsors (?)

Valve too loose/too tight.

Check for vacuum leaks and fix them. Then do a cylinder balance test to find the cylinder that has the misadjusted valve(s)

Cylinder balance test:
Warm the car's engine up to normal operating temperature. Use a jumper wire or paper clip to put the computer into test mode. Start the engine and let it go through the normal diagnostic tests, then quickly press the throttle to the floor. The engine RPM should exceed 2500 RPM's for a brief second. The engine RPM's will increase to about 1450-1600 RPM and hold steady. The engine will shut off power to each injector, one at a time. When it has sequenced through all 8 injectors, it will flash 99 for everything OK, or the number of the failing cylinder such as 22 for cylinder #2. Quickly pressing the throttle again up to 2500 RPM’s will cause the test to re-run with smaller qualifying figures. Do it a third time, and if the same cylinder shows up, the cylinder is weak and isn’t putting out power like it should. See the Chilton’s Shop manual for the complete test procedure

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
OR
See http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for more descriptive help
OR
See http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/electronics/eec-iv_codes.html

For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at Walmart.

Or for a nicer scanner see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?3829 – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $33.

Did compression test and got a solid 150 all the way around.

I used the jumper wire and test light thing and it worked great. I got my codes:

KOEO
22 MAP Barometric pressure sensor

34 EVP EGR No repsonse

85 CANP purge solenoid circuit failure

KOER

41 system lean o2 sensor below lean on bank 1

54 IAT temp signal high or shorted sensor

91 system lean o2 bank 2

Still not quite clear on what these mean exactly. Does it mean I need o2 sensors? I'm going to do the WOT test.

BTW I bought a used Romac balancer, and put that on at the same time as HCI. I'm going to switch it back to stock to see if that helps. Could I have done any damage after driving it lke that for a couple days?

Oh yeah, valve covers are Trick Flow with no baffle, and alum. oil filler breather.

I have the same setup did you block off the thread in the back of the heads? Also your gona need to ditch thoes trick flow valve covers I had the powdercoated black ones with the intake the same and I hated to do it but I had to get rid of them. The reason is because one they have no baffle so you run a breater and oil is gona come gushing out and most likely onto your headers and cause a oil fire. Also did you set your fuel pressure up? reconnect everyything MAF, grounds ect.... Check all your vaccum lines make sure there is no cracks in them.

91lxttrim said:
Did compression test and got a solid 150 all the way around.

I used the jumper wire and test light thing and it worked great. I got my codes:

KOEO
22 MAP Barometric pressure sensor

34 EVP EGR No repsonse

85 CANP purge solenoid circuit failure

KOER

41 system lean o2 sensor below lean on bank 1

54 IAT temp signal high or shorted sensor

91 system lean o2 bank 2

Still not quite clear on what these mean exactly. Does it mean I need o2 sensors? I'm going to do the WOT test.

BTW I bought a used Romac balancer, and put that on at the same time as HCI. I'm going to switch it back to stock to see if that helps. Could I have done any damage after driving it lke that for a couple days?

Oh yeah, valve covers are Trick Flow with no baffle, and alum. oil filler breather.

Vibration was the balancer. I hope I didn't destroy the crank by having a different balancer in it. The Romac had a '50' stamped on the back and I thought stock 5.0's run a 50 oz. balancer so I thought it would be o.k. Apparently not. Much smoother w/ stock balancer.

Now onto the stalling/ not idling problem.

Black 93 Fox said:
I have the same setup did you block off the thread in the back of the heads? Also your gona need to ditch thoes trick flow valve covers I had the powdercoated black ones with the intake the same and I hated to do it but I had to get rid of them. The reason is because one they have no baffle so you run a breater and oil is gona come gushing out and most likely onto your headers and cause a oil fire. Also did you set your fuel pressure up? reconnect everyything MAF, grounds ect.... Check all your vaccum lines make sure there is no cracks in them.

Yeah blocked off holes in back of head, and I got i nice billet oil filler tube with the TFS kit. It works the same way as the stock one. I just had to drill a nice big hole in the valve cover to install it. So it's not like a breather really cause it has the hose still to go to the TB.

My fuel pressure is at about 38 psi. and i did have a few cracked and broken lines due to moving them but replaced them.

I talked to Summit and they recommended resetting the TPS because the intake was replaced. I'll look into it after I do jrichker's lists... (might take a while)!

Yeah I know I had the same filler tube the car wasnt getting enough air cause it didnt have a breather so I had to put one on then the oil issue came up. Yes the TPS needs to be reset need to have your timing also set.

91lxttrim said:
Yeah blocked off holes in back of head, and I got i nice billet oil filler tube with the TFS kit. It works the same way as the stock one. I just had to drill a nice big hole in the valve cover to install it. So it's not like a breather really cause it has the hose still to go to the TB.

My fuel pressure is at about 38 psi. and i did have a few cracked and broken lines due to moving them but replaced them.

I talked to Summit and they recommended resetting the TPS because the intake was replaced. I'll look into it after I do jrichker's lists... (might take a while)!

Code 22 MAP (vacuum) or BARO signal out of range. The MAP or BARO sensor is pretty much the same sensor for both Mass Air & Speed Density cars. The main difference is where it is connected. Mass Air cars vent it to the atmosphere, while Speed Density cars connect it to the intake manifold vacuum. Its purpose is to help set a baseline for the air/fuel mixture by sensing changes in barometric pressure. The MAP or BAP sensor puts out a 5 volt square wave that changes frequency with variations in atmospheric pressure. The base is 154 HZ at 29.92" of mercury - dry sunny day at sea level, about 68-72 degrees. You need an oscilloscope or frequency meter to measure it.

The MAP/BARO sensor is mounted on the firewall behind the upper manifold.

Baro or MAP test using frequency meter - run the test key on engine off. The noise from the ignition system will likely upset the frequency meter. I used a 10 x oscilloscope probe connected from the frequency meter to the MAP/BAP to reduce the jitter in the meter's readout.

If it is defective, your air/fuel ratio will be off and the car’s performance & emissions will suffer

Code 34 Or 334 - EGR voltage above closed limit - Failed sensor, carbon between EGR pintle valve and seat holding the valve off its seat. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carbon remover. Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the flange side of the EGR by mouth. If it leaks, there is carbon stuck on the pintle valve seat, replace the EGR valve ($85-$95).

If the blow by test passes, and you have replaced the sensor, then you have electrical ground problems. Check the resistance between the black/white wire on the MAP/BARO sensor and then the black/white wire on the EGR and the same wire on the TPS. It should be less than 1 ohm. Next check the resistance between the black/white wire and the negative battery post. It should be less than 1 ohm.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter.

Let’s put on our Inspector Gadget propeller head beanies and think about how this works:
The EGR sensor is a variable resistor with ground on one leg and Vref (5 volts) on the other. Its’ resistance ranges from 4000 to 5500 Ohms measured between Vref & ground, depending on the sensor. The center connection of the variable resistor is the slider that moves in response to the amount of vacuum applied. The slider has some minimum value of resistance greater than 100 ohms so that the computer always sees a voltage present at its’ input. If the value was 0 ohms, there would be no voltage output. Then the computer would not be able to distinguish between a properly functioning sensor and one that had a broken wire or bad connection. The EGR I have in hand reads 700 Ohms between the slider (EPV) and ground (SIG RTN) at rest with no vacuum applied. The EGR valve or sensor may cause the voltage to be above closed limits due to the manufacturing tolerances that cause the EGR sensor to rest at a higher position than it should.

This will affect idle quality by diluting the intake air charge

Code 41 or 91 - O2 indicates system lean. Look for a vacuum leak or failing O2 sensor.

The computer sees a lean mixture signal coming from the O2 sensors and tries to compensate by adding more fuel. Many times the end result is an engine that runs pig rich and stinks of unburned fuel.

The following is a Quote from Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control:
"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than 400 Millivolts. Remember lean = less voltage.

When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than 600 millivolts. Remember rich = more voltage.

Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage." End Quote

Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. You'll have to pull the passenger side kick panel off to gain access to the computer connector. Remove the plastic wiring cover to get to the back side of the wiring. Use a safety pin or paper clip to probe the connections from the rear. The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (RH O2 with a dark blue/pink wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter.

Most of the common multimeters have a resistance scale. Be sure the O2 sensors are disconnected and measure the resistance from the O2 sensor body harness to the pins on the computer.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter. Do not attempt to measure the resistance of the O2 sensors, it may damage them.

The O2 sensor ground (orange wire with a ring terminal on it) is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

Code 54 – ACT sensor out of range. Broken or damaged wiring, bad ACT sensor. Note that that if the outside air temp is below 50 degrees F that the test for the ACT can be in error.

Check the resistance of the black/white wire to battery ground. If it is less than 1 ohm, it is good. If it is more than 1 ohm, the black/white wire has bad connections or a broken wire. Always take resistance measurements with the circuit powered off.

Then check the resistance of the ACT sender located in the #5 intake runner on most 5.0 stangs.

ACT & ECT test data:

The ACT & ECT have the same thermistor, so the table values are the same

Pin 7 on the computer - ECT signal in. at 176 degrees F it should be .80 volts

Pin 25 on the computer - ACT signal in. at 50 degrees F it should be 3.5 volts. It is a good number if the ACT is mounted in the inlet airbox. If it is mounted in the lower intake manifold, the voltage readings will be lower because of the heat transfer. Here's the table :

68 degrees F = 3.02 v
86 degrees F = 2.62 v
104 degrees F = 2.16 v
122 degrees F = 1.72 v
140 degrees F = 1.35 v
158 degrees F = 1.04 v
176 degrees F = .80 v
194 degrees F = .61

Ohms measures at the computer with the computer disconnected, or at the sensor with the sensor disconnected.
50 degrees F = 58.75 K ohms
68 degrees F = 37.30 K ohms
86 degrees F = 27.27 K ohms
104 degrees F = 16.15 K ohms
122 degrees F = 10.97 K ohms
140 degrees F = 7.60 K ohms
158 degrees F = 5.37 K ohms
176 degrees F = 3.84 K ohms
194 degrees F = 2.80 K ohms

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Thanks to everybody! Jrichker I nailed it when I kept getting the 54 ACT code and tested it and finally replaced it. That and resetting the tps (2 minute interval thing) did the job. Thanks for all the thorough assistance!!

Now I can enjoy the extra horses!