The "Average" Stage 2 Blower Cam (?)

4.6LPoppy

Jan 9, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I posted this twice somehow! :shrug: My son called me from Iraq while I was doing it and I got messed up. I'll delete one if someone will tell me how.
Sorry in advance if cam talk wears you out, but when you're trying to decide you have it on the mind. I've been talking on forum and reading and have had a lot of help and input. Here's what I did:

I took the specs of "blower cams" from a number of sources, including those names and sites of our favorite tuners and speedshops big and small (Tim, Jim, Scott, etc.). I came up with this - the "average" cam spec for what is described as a "Stage 2 (or equivalent) blower cam" (using a formula I made to account for the effect of each cam spec, not just numerical average) is:
226I/235E duration @ .050, .540I/542E, & 112.33* LSA.

Before anyone gets frustratred with me, I understand that you can't just average them because of the way duration works with lift, LSA, low end torque, vs midrange, etc., etc. BUT; it seems a reasonable way to guage the relative amount of mustard each one has compared to "average" and whether it falls within the range of values from low to high. So I then looked at each cam individually to see where it stacked up against the average in order to try and tell what that particular cam was emphasizing in terms of performance effect. As it turns out, the Comp Cam XE270AH, was the closest thing to the "average" of all the Stage 2 blower cams I checked. I did the same for Stage 3 cams and guess what? The XE278AH was closest to the "average" Stage 3 blower cam. Neither are listed as "blower cams", yet they are each the closest to the "average" Stage 2 or 3 bower cams and, obviously, both fall within the range of specs for Stage 2 or 3 blower cams.

So, does this mean that the 270 and 278 can make a good blower cam for a street/strip car making 10-12lbs boost with a s/c that you want to drive on the street with reasonable street manners? They have a 113* LSA which is more than some of the blower cams. Anyone have experience with a 270 or 278 on a 4.6 2v street/strip s/c'd car running in the high 11's but that runs pretty smooth from stoplight to stoplight? Thanks. (I apoligize if my assumptions are just plain stupid but I think they are close.) :flag:

Note: I've posted this question on another forum also. You guys have been helpful to me and I just wanted to see what kind of response it gets in each place. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I run mid 11s and will be in the 10s this summer with my new setup and I drive my car almost daily as long as its nice out. My cars running a stock auto to which definatley doesn't help anything. I dont have Comp Cams but I have VT Stg2 Blower cams and Im going to tell you right know the cams rock. I lost no low end power and picked up like peak 35rwhp. I would post the graph but we moved a few months ago and all my car paperwork is boxed away god knows where. LOL Heres little food for thought, the VTs cam in a Comp Box which means its a Comp Cam reground or Comp did VTs grinds.

The car is completly tame with the cam it has a nice lope to it but wants to pull a little at when stopped but thats do to the auto.

I run mid 11s and will be in the 10s this summer with my new setup and I drive my car almost daily as long as its nice out. My cars running a stock auto to which definatley doesn't help anything. I dont have Comp Cams but I have VT Stg2 Blower cams and Im going to tell you right know the cams rock. I lost no low end power and picked up like peak 35rwhp. I would post the graph but we moved a few months ago and all my car paperwork is boxed away god knows where. LOL Heres little food for thought, the VTs cam in a Comp Box which means its a Comp Cam reground or Comp did VTs grinds.

The car is completly tame with the cam it has a nice lope to it but wants to pull a little at when stopped but thats do to the auto.

Not exactly, I had Comp grind some for me quite a long time ago in an emergency. At that time my grinder was backordered on billetblanks for almost 6 months. My cams are all ground by Bullett. Hope that helps.

Not exactly, I had Comp grind some for me quite a long time ago in an emergency. At that time my grinder was backordered on billetblanks for almost 6 months. My cams are all ground by Bullett. Hope that helps.

I guess I got some of the comp ground ones then. LOL It was pushing a year ago does that sound about right? I know the box they came in said comp on them and I got a bunch of comp stickers.

Jim,
Good to see you are up and running on your own! Good luck with that....

oh and my VT's came in a Bullett box :)

Poppy, i used to run the Comp 270's when i was N/A and was told they work great in Centri Blown setups also but i went with a Roots blower and sold them for some VT st2 Blower Cams because i was seeing people gain upwards of 60rwhp on Roots/Twin screw setups with them.

Jim,
Good to see you are up and running on your own! Good luck with that....

oh and my VT's came in a Bullett box :)

Poppy, i used to run the Comp 270's when i was N/A and was told they work great in Centri Blown setups also but i went with a Roots blower and sold them for some VT st2 Blower Cams because i was seeing people gain upwards of 60rwhp on Roots/Twin screw setups with them.

I just talked with Jim (Cushman) this afternoon and ordered his CMS Stage 2 blower cams after the conversation. He explained to me that he uses Bullett billet blanks. I'm looking forward to getting them and tuning up for the spring. Both Jim (Cushman Motorsports) and Tim (MPH) were very helpful. I just went with Jim. I think a guy would be in good shape going with either one of them. I'll post my gains as soon as I get everything done and re-tuned.

I just talked with Jim (Cushman) this afternoon and ordered his CMS Stage 2 blower cams after the conversation. He explained to me that he uses Bullett billet blanks. I'm looking forward to getting them and tuning up for the spring. Both Jim (Cushman Motorsports) and Tim (MPH) were very helpful. I just went with Jim. I think a guy would be in good shape going with either one of them. I'll post my gains as soon as I get everything done and re-tuned.

Good deal. :nice: You will be very happy with them.