The Cluelessness Of Today’s Youth!

My father and I have a bet. We're going to have my car dyno'd and we're betting on who can get the closest to the actual HP it lays down. The loser pays for the dyno run. I'm estimating it somewhere in the 285-305 wheel HP range. He's saying 350-375 "If not more" <-(exact words here)

Sad part of this is, I'm 19 and he's 50. Don't lose all faith in the young ones of today ;)

• Sponsors (?)

200 H.P. power adder!
lrs-42528pi_1025.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
My father and I have a bet. We're going to have my car dyno'd and we're betting on who can get the closest to the actual HP it lays down. The loser pays for the dyno run. I'm estimating it somewhere in the 285-305 wheel HP range. He's saying 350-375 "If not more" <-(exact words here)

Sad part of this is, I'm 19 and he's 50. Don't lose all faith in the young ones of today ;)

Cut your dad some slack. He's probably comparing it to figures from the muscle car era that he worshiped at your age, when horsepower was calculated using the "gross" rating system. So the two of you are probably pretty close to one and other if that's still his mindset.

On a contributory note:

I've already contributed my .02 on this topic.

I think there has always been the stroke that thinks he has something that he doesn't. I was there myself 38 years ago. I argued w/some dude, and eventually dismissed him as a dimbulb because I was sure that at my C-4 was a 6 speed auto trans. (3 forward speeds,... and a " kickdown" gear for each of the three, made 6 speeds in my head).

Its always about the learning curve. I worked at a speed shop w/I was 20, and the level of ignorance that walked in the store was always good for a laugh at the end of the day. All of this while I was changing carb jets every other night, and driving the car up and down the street trying to see if the Thundercolt was any faster by my seatomometer dyno. It took me all these years to learn what I know today,... and I still am clueless. Remember Nik,....you had to school me on what "murdered out" meant,...and why it wasn't a dumb idea to put a 351w in a new edge.....because I was thinking it was just stupid to put one in a front wheel drive SUV.

The more I learn, the more I realize I should keep my mouth shut, and let the guys who get paid to do this for a living do the talking. :rlaugh:

I just avoid the situation completely by meeting CL People at a public place with 9mm on my hip.

Them: so do you have a Mustang?

Me: nah, I sold it.

Them: too bad. Here's my money bye.

I just don't trust people. :)

I'm 18 and I recognize the limitations of my car, being basically stock with only trickflow mufflers on original exhaust, a K&N filter in stock intake housing. no gains over stock, my engine runs well, but I'm sure it's short of it's original 215 hp levels at the flywheel, more like 190-200 I would guess. Making it even slower are the worn street tires, and beat suspension.

I've met 'car enthuiast' that blew crap out all the time. One kid I use to work with I saw drove a 1994 Mustang v6. I asked him about it and he says "Yeah it's bored to the same size as a v8, it's turbocharged," that makes no since, but okay cool that it's turbocharged, then later he says, "yeah it's sweet that we both have v8s." Then come to, I look under his hood for said turbo (which by the way he claimed was hidden underneath), there was no turbocharger anywhere on that stock intake housing. There also was no v8 5.0, however there was what I assume to be a rebuilt v6 that might've been bored out.
He runs 93 octane, says it costs him 100 dollars to fill up his car. more blasphemy. I have the same gas tank as him, I know how much it would cost, and there's no reason to run 93 octane. The worse part is he thinks it makes like 700 horsepower because he just down shifts really low.

I've never raced him to show him how much his car sucks, but I so badly want to.

no they are not all that dumb... when i was 20 i was building one of the badest 03 cobra's of its time for a customer.

was a C4 swapped solid rear 2.2KB car. we pretty much built it out of crap laying around the shop. converter for a turbo car the owner of the shop was building a full manual C4 with a brake from that build a 95 cobra rear so we could fit a 10.50W under it. megabit jr's steeda solid upper, stock manifolds heat AC radio all that stock front K member lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's GT front springs eibach drag rear springs... honestly nothing special done. went 10.0@134mph plenty of passes with the 1/8 mile to go mid 9's but had an issue up top blowing the spark out. got that fixxed and the FPRS line blew off and sent the motor dead lean and KABOOM

It's not all younger people. My coworker and I went to the drag strip one night. We had recorded this red third gen Camaro. He lifted the front tires off the ground. Went to work the next day, showed the video to our boss(coworker drives a red 350Z, boss had a G8 GT). Since the video was shot in the dark and from far away we were going to joke with our boss about it and say it was the 350Z. Our boss believed it and said he could do that too if he tried. We looked at him like wtf.... What he did next will always remain with me for the rest of my life. He gets in his car and proceeds to do a burn out.... Then he takes off from a stop and we can see him in the car pulling on the steering wheel(as if you are on a bike trying to pop a wheelie) trying to do a wheelie. We thought he was joking, but he did it at least 2-3 times after that. He was all bent out of shape and told us if he had slicks on the back he could do it.... It was a stock G8 GT. After that we told him the car in the video wasn't the 350Z and he didn't say much after that.

Oh yeah, he also used to tell us all the time that he could drift his car. We asked him how and he said when he turns off traction control he can take off and get sideways. We tried to argue with him that it was not drifting, but it was no point.

Working in a shop I have come across a lot of stupid things people do.... ie, putting a battery in and leaving the caps on the terminals, then getting the car towed in for a no start.... another one came in with a spare on to get a new tire. popped the trunk and the fullsize wheel wasn't in there. Went to ask the guy where it was and he looked confused and said I thought I was getting a new one and tire? When he put the spare on, since the fullsize tire was destroyed he went ahead and chucked the 18" wheel off the bridge into the creek because he thought he didn't need it anymore.