The dyno results are in!

cooter_11

Apr 22, 2005
GA
I pretty much went to the dyno to gauge my A/F readings, but I gotta say I wasn't disappointed in my numbers at all.

278.9hp (we'll call it 279) and 320tq. Not bad for a stock cam PI motor. I surprised the guys at the dyno shop because under the hood basically looks like a stock NPI car. Until I told them my mods and that it was an engine swap.

I really believe that with a tune that the car might push over 290. I was rich to start out, and being a dummy I turned my FPR the wrong way, so it got even richer:bang: . The thing is though I made more power with it running richer, it doesn't make much sense to me. So I left it where it was.

So whatdya think? Good, bad, right on?? Supporting mods are in my sig. I'm gonna try to get the videos on my sig too.

http://image36.webshots.com/36/9/74/64/2809974640083548034AEmYwY_ph.jpg

http://image50.webshots.com/150/0/96/35/2084096350083548034RMqIRL_ph.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

which model is the PI engine out of again??? I think the 1/4 mile basically depends on the 60' time, though you're probably putting down close to what Mach 1's do, should be pretty quick, depending on what your altitude is, I'd guess the high 12's-mid 13's (just a guess) also depending on if you run DR's/Slicks. Nice numbers though man, very impressive!!

cooter_11 said:
I pretty much went to the dyno to gauge my A/F readings, but I gotta say I wasn't disappointed in my numbers at all.

278.9hp (we'll call it 279) and 320tq. Not bad for a stock cam PI motor. I surprised the guys at the dyno shop because under the hood basically looks like a stock NPI car. Until I told them my mods and that it was an engine swap.

I really believe that with a tune that the car might push over 290. I was rich to start out, and being a dummy I turned my FPR the wrong way, so it got even richer:bang: . The thing is though I made more power with it running richer, it doesn't make much sense to me. So I left it where it was.

So whatdya think? Good, bad, right on?? Supporting mods are in my sig. I'm gonna try to get the videos on my sig too.

Engines that run rich will get more power. You're gettinga little more gas and it will create more power performance, but your fuel economy will be worse.

And vice-versa. A lean engine will get better fuel economy because you are using less gas per combustion cycle, but you will not make performance power like that. Thats why the "stoich" ratio is generally geared towards 14.7:1 A/F ratio, but most guys on here run a 13.1:1 i think A/F. Making the engine run more rich and making more power.

I always thought rich vs. lean was like timing. Too much timing, or too lean, and you get detonation, but back off a hair, and you make more power. I suppose you could run it "too rich," and run more timing, and get more power, but I would think the definition of "too rich" was when you started losing power. If you are making more power than before, I don't know that I'd call it "too rich."

A buddy had a 94 GT, and one of the mods he did was an FPR, and his 1/4 times dropped a few tenths when he turned the pressure up. (He also had a timing adjuster, which he used to advance the timing.) I don't know that I'd say "more fuel equals more power," but certainly, more power *requires* more fuel at some point.

UDTBadkarma said:
Engines that run rich will get more power. You're gettinga little more gas and it will create more power performance, but your fuel economy will be worse.

And vice-versa. A lean engine will get better fuel economy because you are using less gas per combustion cycle, but you will not make performance power like that. Thats why the "stoich" ratio is generally geared towards 14.7:1 A/F ratio, but most guys on here run a 13.1:1 i think A/F. Making the engine run more rich and making more power.

I don't think there is a correct statement in this entire quote.

1) Richer (to a point) = cooler cylinder temps = safer = less power.
2) Leaner (to a point) = hotter cylinder temps = more prone to detonation = more power.
3) Stoich is the "perfect" ratio of air and fuel to allow all of the fuel to be burt. This will always be around 14.7 to 1 for gasoline.
4) A richer or leaner tune will not affect fuel economy during normal driving. A tune will only change the WOT fuel settings.

cooter_11 said:

Nice numbers man and I live in Georgetown!!!I'm always at STP and they do a GREAT job on the cars they do... they are getting SCT here within a month and they are tuning mine first... so i can't wait.

hotmustang331 said:
LOL, at first I was going to say that the dyno was jacked....until I saw the "stg 2 ported heads" in your sig :D.

In that case, NICE #s!

BTW Pics dont work for me :shrug:

Ppl are so quick to say the dyno is jacked or wrong... Mines and '04 5spd with LT's Catless H-pipe and Filter with hand held tuner(hypertech) and it made 270 rwhp and 315 rwtrq... NO interal mods what so ever! And mine is running at 12.2:1 N/A

^ Well its because we have been around this game for a while, and we have seen ALOT of combos dyno tested. We know what a PI 2V will do, and that there are NO "freaks" . The tolerances from Ford dont allow very much HP difference from 1 car to the next.

As far as your #s, absolutly impossable :nice: . The dyno was jacked LOL. With stock intake W/ filter, stock plenum, stock cams, stock heads, stock TB, stock pullys, stock catback, and a RICH 12.2-1 A/F , you car isnt/wasnt that strong N/A. All you have are exhaust mods and added timing (stock tune will run darn near 12.2 A/F), and I dont recal exhaust and a tune adding 40-45RWHP :rlaugh: . Unless your forgetting some mods :shrug: .

yea man i agree. those numbers are crazy. the original poster has strong numbers but not unbelievable. this last guys are too high to be true.

also your track times are super fast. you must have a blower you forgot to tell us about. you are creaming stock 03 cobras at the track huh, with l/t's.:lol:

jstreet0204 said:
I don't think there is a correct statement in this entire quote.

1) Richer (to a point) = cooler cylinder temps = safer = less power.
2) Leaner (to a point) = hotter cylinder temps = more prone to detonation = more power.
3) Stoich is the "perfect" ratio of air and fuel to allow all of the fuel to be burt. This will always be around 14.7 to 1 for gasoline.
4) A richer or leaner tune will not affect fuel economy during normal driving. A tune will only change the WOT fuel settings.
He is in school to be a Mechanic :eek: