Progress Thread The "Fauxstang" Dynacorn '67 fastback

If anyone wants to start one of theses projects, don't think for a minute that the body comes with everything needed, it doesn't. And some things are not reproduced or the repo's are so bad that they are not worth using. I should have bought a rust bucket that had most of its parts still on it. Most everything can be found on ebay but oftentimes the parts are worn out or damaged or pricey. My plan was to build a car suitable for the street and autocross. I started out by attempting to stiffen the chassis using using some Tinman SFC's and chassis reinforcement plates from opentracker.com plus re welding most of the spot welds on the chassis. The car came with torque boxes and a 'vert seat pan so the only other thing I'm doing is to install a cage designed for autocross or open track racing. There will be no rear seat , that area will be covered by a "R" model rear seat delete. Here's a photo of the bottom side showing the Tinman SFC's and the E Stopp parking brake actuator. The bottom side is covered in epoxy primer covered by Raptor Liner bed coating and tinted to body color.
6NtivN.jpg

This is the plates welded in to strengthen the shock tower area, and the upper control arm relocation.
IVjoNN.jpg

Due to the size of the T56, I had to cut away some of the transmission mount/front cross member. I welded in some 10 gauge steel plate on the inside to reduce flex in this area.
nssJBo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is why i prefer doing a conversion ,the last full repro. body we did the window was caulked over to the passenger side and had to be pushed over with a porta power .
At least with a conversion the sub structure is finished Ford original and is much easier to fit the fast back sheet metal . I never buy the welded kit as it is usually not welded together correctly ,the un welded kit i can set it up correctly but it is a lot more welding . I have actually had great results building conversions with body panel fit ,over trying to align the body panels on the new bodies .

Street of Track front suspension with Bilstein shocks, and using large bearing spindles. SorT 13" brakes.
gP0nTh.jpg

Steering column is an Ididit tilt. The interior of the body is covered in Lizardskin heat and sound deadning.
VpSD2q.jpg

Radiator is a Ron Davis big block radiator, using a Ford Countour fan assemmbly
obwOrL.jpg