Thermostat housing leak

cobra_2_76

Founding Member
Aug 24, 1999
Norwalk, Ohio
Any one installed Ford Motorsports 90 degree thermostat housing with the sensor housing screw on the top?

Just installed mine and just by filling it it leaks around the screw. I used teflon tape so I assume something else is not quite right. Did these have gaskets for the screw?

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

The problem is the chrome plating. Too slick to seal. Most of these leak around the intake to housing gasket or O ring. Try using a paste type sealer. I do and that always seals. Teflon tape always has been a major pain in the asss to use.

I use the paste type teflon sealer to seal all my pipe theaded joints, also works on the late 5.0 head bolts where they intersect the coolant galleries in the block. You can buy the teflon paste at any hardware store, Wal-Mart, etc.

I just bought that same piece of crap (made in china) junk. What is Ford Racing thinking! The screw you are talking about came with teflon tape on it's threads.......what idiots! It has to be a manufacturing defect because who would design something like that with teflon tape on the screw threads that don't even touch the internal threads. I put an "o-ring" on mine because the top looks like it was designed for one.

Edbert said:
My chrome FRP came with the o-rig and it is INSIDE the screws.

Yeah, the previous one I had came with the o-ring... the new one didnt, so I tried the tape prior to buying an o-ring and that is why mine didnt work. I knew the o-ring was supposed to be there and I just think they forgot to install it.

Edbert said:
On a SBF the screws do not penetrate the water jacket so why would they need sealant in the first place?

My chrome FRP came with the o-rig and it is INSIDE the screws.

The housing is for a 5.0 and it has a location to mount a sensor on it hence the plug. Something to ponder........Ford Racing (Ford Motor Company) outsourced this part (one of many) to China so they could save money. The part cost me about $20. The part originally cost Ford about $15 to make in the states with good quality and zero defects. The "made in china" part costs about $10 and comes with defects built in and a lot more of them per lot. Since china cannot compete on material and shipping (labor only which this part does not have much of) they have to substitute the material to a cheaper grade and reduce the mass to save on material quantity. Now with that outsourcing logic and the loss of so many customers because of poor quality....you know why Ford is going down hill fast! I wish the idiots making these decsions could experience first hand what we already know...good quality is not cheap.