Think I Can Hit 12s?

Black46gt

Nov 6, 2017
Ive got a 96 gt with 3.73 gears, pypes offroad x pipe, k&n cold air intake and slp loudmouths, and its a auto. Im wondering what yall think it would run with a pi head and intake swap, some cams (dont know what kind yet) 275/50/15 slicks + front runners, 3200-3500 stall, accufab 75mm throttle and plenum, shorty headers and a tune. Think I can hit the 12s? Anything is appriecated, runs 14.50-14.70 right now

• Sponsors (?)

Full weight? I don't think you'll be hitting 12's on that combo, probably mid to low 13's if you get it to hook and everything is sorted. I'm not a 4.6 guy so there might be some magic I don't know about, but most of my buddies with a PI swapped 4.6 were in the mid 13 second range.

Thanks most my buddies have camaros Im not around a lot of pi swapped stangs so I have no idea what they run, I would be more than happy if I could run faster than a 13.50 N/A. It is full wieght too, right now I daily drive it. Thanks for your thoughts though.

With all you want to do to the engine I would think a supercharger would be a viable alternative and save you a lot of work and maybe even money.

Reactions: 1 user
You think I could find a supercharger like a paxton novi or procharger for around 1500ish? It still has the npi heads and intake and im hoping to get around 325-350hp (hopefully) with all I want to do to the motor. But a supercharger would save me a lot of work

You are better off saving up money and getting a supercharger before digging into the engine. The power gain from a base centri supercharger kit will be much higher than just Pi heads, cams and whatever else. Might gain 30-40 hp from heads and other parts. Supercharger would give around 100 hp. Both would require a tune and the tune will play a big part in what the power gains are.

Also since you have an auto you can't neglect that either. A 2400 stall converter and shift kit should be the minimum you do to it if you want to lower your track times. If it has high enough miles it might need a performance rebuild with better parts if a supercharger is installed. If the trans is in good shape it should be ok for a while though.

You think I could find a supercharger like a paxton novi or procharger for around 1500ish? It still has the npi heads and intake and im hoping to get around 325-350hp (hopefully) with all I want to do to the motor. But a supercharger would save me a lot of work
You are better off saving up money and getting a supercharger before digging into the engine. The power gain from a base centri supercharger kit will be much higher than just Pi heads, cams and whatever else. Might gain 30-40 hp from heads and other parts. Supercharger would give around 100 hp. Both would require a tune and the tune will play a big part in what the power gains are.

Also since you have an auto you can't neglect that either. A 2400 stall converter and shift kit should be the minimum you do to it if you want to lower your track times. If it has high enough miles it might need a performance rebuild with better parts if a supercharger is installed. If the trans is in good shape it should be ok for a while though.
Thanks, much apprieciated got a lot of thinking to do

Forgot to mention, going over 2400 stall on a street car is doable but it adds a ton of heat to the trans. You would need the deep aluminum trans pan and a good add on trans cooler. I run a 2400 I'm my 04 with the pan and I think it's perfect for a street car that might go to the track here and there.(will still probably install a cooler just to be safe) A 3000 might be doable as long as the car isn't your daily driver. Above that is what I personally consider race only.

You won't find a new supercharger kit for $1500 but kits from parted out cars can be found for that. Only a few weeks till Black Friday, see what kind of deals you can find on new kits.

You won't find a new supercharger kit for $1500 but kits from parted out cars can be found for that. Only a few weeks till Black Friday, see what kind of deals you can find on new kits.
Ive been looking at the tork tech kit and the paxtons either would get me over 300hp But yall are right I should just save a little more a buy a supercharger, what I was talking about at first would have been difficult to get 300rwhp. Thanks for the info about the stall and transmission cooler, defently going to look into that.

No. My car on 10lbs and NPI setup only ran 12.70's @ 111 or so. Put down 340 with a stock stall. N/A my car ran 14.20's.

A manual car might net lower 13's but with the auto you're gong to be a 13.50 car at best with traction. If you're wanting to put down 320/340 NA then you're going to need some bad ass heads and nasty cams, likely E85 and some aggressive driving.

My car with a bone stock 2011 PI long block (does have todd warren blower cams) and 10lbs put down 410/395 through a 3500 circle D converter and built trans. Has been 11.82@119 and has more in it for sure (1.75 60 ft is soft). That's with a simple (Older) P1sc on 10lbs. Look at my build thread and you can see just about every :poo:ty issue you may run into and how I solved it. (and how I tore up 2 prior engines yay lol).

Boost will get you where you want "cheaper". I say cheaper as most folks don't experience the amazing luck I did with trying to put my combo together.

Reactions: 1 user
No. My car on 10lbs and NPI setup only ran 12.70's @ 111 or so. Put down 340 with a stock stall. N/A my car ran 14.20's.

A manual car might net lower 13's but with the auto you're gong to be a 13.50 car at best with traction. If you're wanting to put down 320/340 NA then you're going to need some bad ass heads and nasty cams, likely E85 and some aggressive driving.

My car with a bone stock 2011 PI long block (does have todd warren blower cams) and 10lbs put down 410/395 through a 3500 circle D converter and built trans. Has been 11.82@119 and has more in it for sure (1.75 60 ft is soft). That's with a simple (Older) P1sc on 10lbs. Look at my build thread and you can see just about every :poo:ty issue you may run into and how I solved it. (and how I tore up 2 prior engines yay lol).

Boost will get you where you want "cheaper". I say cheaper as most folks don't experience the amazing luck I did with trying to put my combo together.
Thanks I like to hear from someone who actually has a car like mine lol. I also dont want to go to the track exspecting to run high 12s or something like that and run 13.50 or slower, I haven't been to the track a whole lot but what I really want is when I ever go back to at least be able to run decent times if you know what I mean. The last car my dad built was a 70 mustang coupe with a built cleveland and a c6 with a 4500 stall and run mid 11s. My car just feels slow after riding in it so long, I miss that power lol

Pi swap it (stock heads, small cams) and put a blower or n2o on it. We built a n2o 98 with stock pi heads and small cms cams. It went 11.90@115 on a 125 zex wet shot. Was a full suspension car so that was about all it had (cut 1.50 60 ft times). It broke about every part known to man due to the 6k hole shots haha. But it was fun and sneaky. Nothing like a faded laser red gt with a buggered up bumper to hang the hoops at the track and gap some unsuspecting folks. It put down 278/280 na and 378/450 on the sauce. Good running little car.

These motors like power adders and hold up well. I'm not afraid (now) to drive mine cross country in a heart beat. The nitrous car had 175k+ miles on it and saw 125-150 bottles at least. Even survived a few nitrous backfires. They are tougher than they get credit for.

Pi swap it (stock heads, small cams) and put a blower or n2o on it. We built a n2o 98 with stock pi heads and small cms cams. It went 11.90@115 on a 125 zex wet shot. Was a full suspension car so that was about all it had (cut 1.50 60 ft times). It broke about every part known to man due to the 6k hole shots haha. But it was fun and sneaky. Nothing like a faded laser red gt with a buggered up bumper to hang the hoops at the track and gap some unsuspecting folks. It put down 278/280 na and 378/450 on the sauce. Good running little car.

These motors like power adders and hold up well. I'm not afraid (now) to drive mine cross country in a heart beat. The nitrous car had 175k+ miles on it and saw 125-150 bottles at least. Even survived a few nitrous backfires. They are tougher than they get credit for.
I'll try something, dont no what yet, probably whatever my job (pay) will let me do lol I apprieciate all yalls help. Hope Ive got something done to it in the next 3-5 months.